Thread: ZX vs FX

ZX vs FX

I am soon to be in the market for a new boat. Skeeter is on my short list, and I had the opportunity to look at a FX20 LE a few weeks ago. It is one beautiful boat. What are the main differences between the ZX and FX? Obviously the layout and controls are different but are there any major hull differences or ride quality issues?

2. Member
    no
    2017 Skeeter ZX 250

3. Member
    More bells and whistles on the FX and some minor hull differences as well. Depending on the model, there could be a horsepower difference as well. FX20 is rated for a 250 and ZX225 is rated at 225.

4. Member
    I think of the ZX like a GMC Sierra SLE or base model versus the FX like a GMC Sierra Denali. My buddy has the ZX and rides just like my FX. Mine came with dual talons, rigid deck lighting, hydraulic jackplate, and better graphs, digital gauge showing engine hours and everything else. His came with 2 dollar rocker switches and a single sportsman edition power pole and hook graphs. Only major difference I see is the gauges, and the trim. Carpet all appears the same, different trailers of course. Some like fiberglass fenders like the fx has, others do not. People say you can add all the options to the fx and you have the same boat for 10k less than FX. You can also add all the decals you want and kick out steps on a GMC SLE but when it comes down to it or even at trade in, it isn't going to be a Denali. Side note, I chose to buy a 2014 FX and he decided to buy brand new. I even came out better financially in the end. He loves his boat. I love my boat. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I had a 2015 ZX 225 for almost three years I've got no complaints about it, except maybe the livewells were a little small. I now have a 2018 FX 21 and its got more bells and whistles but it rides and drives better than my ZX did. Its also a foot longer which helps a lot. I was gonna get the ZX 250 but when I started added things to it the price difference between them wasn't a lot. I don't know what the difference is in the hulls but it handles better than my ZX did. At the time I got mine I got a good discount on the FX so it made my decision easier.
    2018 Skeeter FX21 LE Ox Blood

There is no difference in the FX 21 hull or the zx250 hull.. same hull....the fx20 And the ZX 225 are a few inches different in length...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    There is no difference in the FX 21 hull or the zx250 hull.. same hull....the fx20 And the ZX 225 are a few inches different in length...
    The difference in length according to skeeter is the top cap same hull the cap is 2 inches longer.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

8. Member
    The hulls are not the same. There are minor differences between them mostly with the chines and strakes.

I love this argument... Cracks me up..

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Member
    Regardless, they are both great boats. All that matters to me is that SHO on the back pushing it!

11. Member
    It’s not an argument. Go to the factory, there is a ZX mold and an FX mold

Quote Originally Posted by waknbass View Post
    It’s not an argument. Go to the factory, there is a ZX mold and an FX mold
    You are correct...both hulls don't come from the same mold I'll give you that..but the running surface...you turn them upside down you couldn't find the difference in the two...

Jonathan Hillstrand

13. Member
    I own a 2016 ZX225...bought it new in 2016. I added the nema to get gauge read outs, added the second power pole, a hydrojacker, a passenger console, led deck lights too...I saved a bunch and love the boat. You can't go wrong on either...and the SHO....WOW what a beast! The best of luck to you.

14. Member
    Recommend flashing the ecu and gaining 4-5 mph with minor tweaking of existing prop.

15. Member
    The main difference is going to be on resale value. I've talked to a lot of guys who have had both zx and fx. Almost all say they like the fx rides and handles differently. Those guys can give you a better understanding then talking to others who have had just one or the other. Both boats get the job done. But I've never heard an fx owner say they wished they went with the zx.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Svan270 View Post
    The main difference is going to be on resale value. I've talked to a lot of guys who have had both zx and fx. Almost all say they like the fx rides and handles differently. Those guys can give you a better understanding then talking to others who have had just one or the other. Both boats get the job done. But I've never heard an fx owner say they wished they went with the zx.
    This is correct. I would agree that the FX does ride and handle differently. I'm not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just different. However, I might change this opinion once I get my ZX out in some big water in the coming days. The best way that I can describe it is that the ZX seems to skip across the water while my FX would plow thru. Both are quick and maneuver quite well. I went from a 2012 FX to a 2018 ZX because I liked the new layout of the ZX. I also prefer the simplicity of the switches and gauges along with the finishes. So far, I've been very happy with my decision.

17. Member
    Woo602,
    those are interesting words. I am sure that the fx of same year might be different.
    it would be nice to get a test drive on each -but hearing you and others talk about it makes me feel better about my choice.
    i added on the to the point where maybe I should have considered the FX.
    But it is like trucks. I don’t need a moon roof in it-I need 4 wheel drive and get my gear to where I hunt or fish!
    glad you like yours. That is the key!!!!