Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guardian mode..........

Has anyone ever had their Pro XS go into guardian mode? Fishing a Thursday night TX and a very long way from the ramp I started getting a Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep. Then after about a minute it would do it again. Well before long she shut down and would go over 1000 rpm. It took me about 1.5 hours to idle back to the ramp. Water pressure was good, temp on the motor was good never got over 110-115 degrees. I checked the oil tank in the boat and on the motor to make sure there were no leaks and they had oil in them. Boat tank was over half full the tank under the cowling was completely full. Gonna take it to a dealer today and have the fault code read. I am guessing a sensor went out and caused this. Will guardian mode go away or will a dealer have to remove it from the PCM? Thanks

2. Member
    Water in fuel maybe? Running any ethanol gas, we have bought ethanol gas already phase separated, of course we didn't know until after launching the boat.

Johnny Johnson

I have found guardian mode way more than I want to discuss but mine was always from not hearing the beeping while running hard and quick surprising shutdown. I always killed it and checked things out recranked and it reset with no issues. I can hear the beeping at 88-90 but can't seem to hear it above 92+ for some reason. I think Johnny could be correct on a fuel issue. I have seen this happen a lot on pwc's and pontoons that we sell. Have a certain marinia that seems to get extra water in their fuel nearly every spring!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

4. Member
    If the compressor stream is clogged it will overheat and give an alarm. The best I can remember, smart craft will show normal temps.

Well according to the Warning horn thread on the 3.0 liter Mercury page here on BBC. A 4 beep warning with a 2 minute pause, repeat.......is a noncritical warning and should be taken to to a authorized Merc service shop to be diagnosed. I have had the clogged compressor overheat before and from my experience that is a critical solid beep signal. I was leaning towards the oil level sensor or water in the fuel. Yes, I have been running ethonal gas. I do make sure I buy it from a truck stop next to the interstate highway that sells alot of gas. When I get home today I am going to check the water seperator and do a continuity check on the low oil level sensor. I also put my hand on the compressor to see if it was hot while I had the cowling off checking the oil tank. It was warm but not so hot I couldnt touch it. I shut it off and restarted it several time but, as soon as I started it the warning buzzer sounded off each time and put it right back into guardian. Will guardian go away when I fix the problem?

6. Member
    You should see close to 130 degrees while idling. I think the motor will sense when it does not reach 120 in a certain time frame.

I never see 130 degrees ever. According to Don Weed that's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I never see 130 degrees ever. According to Don Weed that's alright.
    Really ??
    According to my Service manual the T-stat doesn't open until 130.. mine will show up to 136-140 at times before it starts back down.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Really ??
    According to my Service manual the T-stat doesn't open until 130.. mine will show up to 136-140 at times before it starts back down.
    Don said 120-130 I went back and looked at the thread on the topic back in 2015. Even still 120 is about as high as I see. This is off a mechanical Auto meter gauge I installed. I drilled a hole in the water jacket of the STBD head and installed a temp sending unit. I am sure its right it's not a cheap auto parts store gauge.

10. Member
    Mine open between 135/140 degrees. If I don't see that I will shut the motor down and let it heat soak for a few seconds while watching the smartcraft. Restart and sometimes do it again depending on the lake water temp.

11. Member
    I've noticed with the new thermostats that it can hit 145 even before they open the first time.. then they seem to cycle as normal.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Well I have put well over 100 hours on it since I have had it so I am not worried about the temp. The temp difference I see could be due to the temp sender location. Gonna take it to a shop on Monday and they are going to read the fault code for me. Ill be sure to check back and let everyone know the result.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 05-12-2018 at 06:38 AM.

So after doing little research I found that the oil tank has a float with a magnet attached to the bottom of it. I pulled the oil tank drained it and the magnet has indeed come loose from the float. I can hook my multimeter up for a continuity test and it reads open circuit. If I reach in with a piece of wire and pull the magnet to the top. The open circuit goes away. I am pretty sure I have a bad tank float switch. Unfortunately there is no way to get to it to glue it back on and a new tank is about a buck fifty.

14. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    So after doing little research I found that the oil tank has a float with a magnet attached to the bottom of it. I pulled the oil tank drained it and the magnet has indeed come loose from the float. I can hook my multimeter up for a continuity test and it reads open circuit. If I reach in with a piece of wire and pull the magnet to the top. The open circuit goes away. I am pretty sure I have a bad tank float switch. Unfortunately there is no way to get to it to glue it back on and a new tank is about a buck fifty.
    Thanks for posting this because one day, one of us will have that issue.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

Are you referring to the engine mounted reservoir ?
    Or the oil tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Are you referring to the engine mounted reservoir ?
    Or the oil tank ?
    There is no level sensor on the oil tank in the boat. I am referring to the one mounted to the motor. Once I change the tank Ill cut the old one open and post some pictures of the faulty float. I also made sure the oil line going to the oil pump is still full of oil to avoid a air pocket in the line. That will save me from going to a dealer and having a oil pump prime sequence run.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 05-12-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG;9350217[B
    ]There is no level sensor on the oil tank in the boat[/B]. I am referring to the one mounted to the motor. Once I change the tank Ill cut the old one open and post some pictures of the faulty float. I also made sure the oil line going to the oil pump is still full of oil to avoid a air pocket in the line. That will save me from going to a dealer and having a oil pump prime sequence run.
    That is correct.. The reservoir has a low oil switch ..

18. Member
    There is no level sensor on the oil tank in the boat. I am referring to the one mounted to the motor. Once I change the tank Ill cut the old one open and post some pictures of the faulty float. I also made sure the oil line going to the oil pump is still full of oil to avoid a air pocket in the line. That will save me from going to a dealer and having a oil pump prime sequence run.
    You can get an oil level sensor/sending unit for the big tank as well.. And it works with your Merc Monitor as well with the oil/fuel harness..
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

19. Member
    Great post. I like it when we can learn something that will one day probably save us or somebody in our circle a lot of grief and money.

Don't know how to post pictures anymore. I cant navigate windows 10. One link is the picture of the magnet up against the float and one is of the magnet separated from the float.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast