Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chester,Va
    Posts
    3,523
    #21
    This is a common problem that I see much too often.
    There is no need to prime the oil pump after replacing an oil tank, just fill the oil tank about 3/4 of the way up then start the engine on a hose or in the water and loosen the fill cap on the tank to fill the rest of the way while purging the air from the lines.
    Snug the cap on the tank when full being careful not to over tighten as it will strip the threads from the tank.

  2. Member K-DAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kingsland, GA
    Posts
    6,415
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    This is a common problem that I see much too often.
    There is no need to prime the oil pump after replacing an oil tank, just fill the oil tank about 3/4 of the way up then start the engine on a hose or in the water and loosen the fill cap on the tank to fill the rest of the way while purging the air from the lines.
    Snug the cap on the tank when full being careful not to over tighten as it will strip the threads from the tank.
    Well Lee, I have over 700 hours on the motor now so, I cant complain about it to much. Granted it only lasted about 150 hours for me........lol Changed the compressor at 690 hours and it was the original compressor so, with that said so far she has been a good one. I made sure the oil did run out of the hose when I pulled it off the bottom of the oil tank. I took it outside and let it run on the hose for about 20 minutes. No alarms so I think I have that problem solved. Thanks for the advice.

  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    1,892
    #23
    Dawg.. how many hours did the motor have on it when you got it? Trying to gauge how many hours my boat has.. thx

    Dan
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

  4. Member K-DAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kingsland, GA
    Posts
    6,415
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Dawg.. how many hours did the motor have on it when you got it? Trying to gauge how many hours my boat has.. thx

    Dan
    Like 560 I think.

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    1,892
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Like 560 I think.
    Damn.. so my boat has about 8xx something hours of run time... tons more fishing time... wow
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

  6. Member K-DAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kingsland, GA
    Posts
    6,415
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Damn.. so my boat has about 8xx something hours of run time... tons more fishing time... wow
    So, I bought it from a reputable dealer. It came off a boat he sold and I am pretty sure they did the maintenance on it. It has had a steady diet of Merc performance plus. I know they recommend DFI oil now but, this one has done so well with the old stuff I have stayed with it. Granted the vast majority of those hours are idling around running side scan. Over 450 of the 690 hours were 1500 rpm and below. The boat idles at 700 rpm and the intervals are 0-599, 600-1499, 1500-2999, etc........ I am sure that has a lot to do with why it has so many hours on it.

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    1,892
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    So, I bought it from a reputable dealer. It came off a boat he sold and I am pretty sure they did the maintenance on it. It has had a steady diet of Merc performance plus. I know they recommend DFI oil now but, this one has done so well with the old stuff I have stayed with it. Granted the vast majority of those hours are idling around running side scan. Over 450 of the 690 hours were 1500 rpm and below. The boat idles at 700 rpm and the intervals are 0-599, 600-1499, 1500-2999, etc........ I am sure that has a lot to do with why it has so many hours on it.

    Ok.. perhaps I am mistaken... but my understanding was you bought the 225xs that was originally on my boat when the 250 was put on. Perhaps that isn't correct.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

  8. Member K-DAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kingsland, GA
    Posts
    6,415
    #28
    Don't know whos boat it was on but, You would probably be correct. That's what I know about it to the best of my knowledge/memory. Of course I ain't as sharp as I use to be......lol It had 585 hours on it when I bought it.. Just went back and checked.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 05-23-2018 at 09:51 PM.

  9. Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chester,Va
    Posts
    3,523
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Don't know whos boat it was on but, You would probably be correct. That's what I know about it to the best of my knowledge/memory. Of course I ain't as sharp as I use to be......lol It had 585 hours on it when I bought it.. Just went back and checked.
    Dan is correct, I sold Dan's boat and the engine you have now new to the original owner of Dan's boat.
    There, clear as mud. LOL

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Posts
    1,892
    #30
    Speaking of said reputable dealer hehehehehe
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

  11. Member K-DAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kingsland, GA
    Posts
    6,415
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Speaking of said reputable dealer hehehehehe
    I was just trying to keep from incriminating Lee for selling me a 3.0 liter to go on my XB-2003. Maybe "Reputable Dealer" was to strong of a description.........lol
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 05-24-2018 at 08:30 PM.

  12. Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chester,Va
    Posts
    3,523
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I was just trying to keep from incriminating Lee for selling me a 3.0 liter to go on my XB-2003. Maybe "Reputable Dealer" was to strong of a description.........lol
    I didn't know what boat it was going on.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12