Thread: Dropshot Rod?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I just built one on a North Fork Composites SJ-762 IM blank cut down to 7'3" that turned out very well (NFC is Gary Loomis's new company). I put a set of NFC carbon fiber grips on it and mated them up to a Mudhole Project X aluminum reel seat then wrapped on a set of AirWave guides (placed first according to their guidelines then adjusted as my static testing dictated) and finished her off with an American Tackle Deluxe Hook Keeper that grabs a drop shot sinker very well. The carbon fiber grips are incredible for improving sensitivity over EVA or cork. I think I had about $150 in it when all was said and done, not counting my time of course. I have a good time building rods so I don't factor that in.

NFC just released a new high modulus line of blanks I wish I could've used in this build...I stayed away from their high modulus on this build due to durability concerns, but it sounds like this new new HM material is a lot more resistant to cracking, splitting, and breaking that other HM blanks.
    I've built a NFC HM DS and haven't broke it yet. That being said the one I built on a Point Blank 691MLXF is my favorite.

I was really close to pulling the trigger on the HM until someone on this board told me about a rep at NFC suggesting not to use HM for a flipping rod if they were going to use braid. I asked the folks there about it and they said it'd probably be fine for a spinning rod, but that the IM was definitely more durable. Given that their IM blanks are comparable in modulus to other companies' HM blanks, that I was using the carbon fiber grips, and that I'm not exactly the most gentle person on my gear I decided to go IM. I suppose I don't know what I'm missing if much! Haha

How is that NFC drop shot blank? I went with a spin-jig blank because I thought the drop shot blanks NFC has in lengths longer than 6'10" seemed to be too light, especially when I get hold of a 5+ lb tank on Mille Lacs (and obviously I wanted a longer rod). I've also heard good things about Point Blank's stuff. Never built on one though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I think that was me. Steve at NFC steered me away from the HM for a flip stick. I've got the longer one. I think it's the 761. It's light, more of a fun fishing rod. I let my girlfriend use it most of the time since its so sensitive, she misses a lot of fish otherwise. I've gotten a few 4+ on it up on Sturgeon Bay with it and you definitely have to play them but they do stay buttoned up. Its a good rod for when you have to go down to 5 or 6lb leader and use a really small hook (like a 4 or 6). I like it for hair jigs too.

4. Member
    I went from a Carbonlite 6'8" CL68MSXF (the older black version, the new white ones aren't as good IMHO) to an IMX-Pro 820S DSR a few months ago. Amazing difference. I originally thought the Carbonlite was a great rod and had no reason to switch. Caught plenty of 6-8# fish over the years with it. Ended up scoring a great deal on the Loomis and paired it with a Stradic CI4 and I love it.

5. Member
    I've been very pleased with the Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier, 6'10" ML. Very light and very, very sensitive.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
    I've been very pleased with the Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier, 6'10" ML. Very light and very, very sensitive.
    Yes!

7. Member
    703 Dobyns Champion series is a great rod. I have one I've been fishing for several years now and it is a great all around spinning rod.

I got one of the new series Megabass Orochi XX but I got the shakey head model so I could use it for both drop shot and shakey heads. Caught several fish on it today fishing a drop shot and was really impressed with the rod and how sensitive it was. Handled bigger fish much better than I had anticipated.

9. Member
    I like a longer rod for drop shotting. I use a 7'3" Fenwick Aetos. Man, is it a sweet rod for the application. Highly sensitive too.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

My all time favorite is the red Cumara 7'2".
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

11. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Go with the ST Croix

12. Member
    i don't think you can beat the NRX 822 DSR...that is my all-time favorite rod and have literally caught hundreds of bass on it...it is superb. that being said, i recently picked up a abu garcia fantasista premier 6'10" ML from glen's and i am very, very impressed with it so far.

13. Member
    Using the NRX 822 is most fun I've ever had catching smallmouth. They are a blast on that rod.

Megabass Addermine or Orochi xx whipsnake.

I have both and love both.

I sold my NRX 852 spinning rod since I own a NRX 852 casting.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
    Man....I've got to get out more. This rod was a recent purchase (used), but the reel for it still hasn't been spooled.

16. Member
    I ordered an alpha angler DSR for a recent trip to Michigan. All I can say is WOW. One of the absolute best rods I own. You can cast it a mile and also pitch into tight spots. We were sight fishing beds and it was dead on. Ultra light and sensitive. You won't be disappointed.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    My all time favorite is the red Cumara 7'2".
    I would agree with this! Unfortunately mine was stolen out of my truck still on the hunt for a replacement that I like just as much, thinking about the GLX DSR 820 or 822
    2017 Phoenix 919 ProXP 225 Mercury ProXS

18. Member
    The nrx 822 is the gold standard in dropshot rods...ive fished many others that do a good job but the 822 does a great job due to the super soft tip but good backbone mentioned.
    I have the black cumara still as backup as prefer its backbone over the red cumara and one of the few ds specific rods over 7'.
    The 852s nrx is much too stiff of a tip in my opinion for a dedicated ds rod.
    The original crucial was the best value dropshot rod imo.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

For my fishing the red cumara has just the right amount of tip and tremendous back bone which is what I love about it - the black cumara was more parabolic IMO. I landed a 19.5lbs drum on that rod last year and didn't feel under gunned at all. 3-5lbs smallies are right in its wheelhouse.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12