Thread: Floor Drain

Floor Drain

The 2001 pro175 I recently purchased, I noticed there is no drain in the floor in the console area. Has anyone installed one or is it needed. Most boats I have owned have had a drain. If caught in a downpour where would all the water go?
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

2. Member
    Good question. I added one to mine. After having been stuck in a few 3 to 5 inch Texas downpours, I know how fast a hull can fill up if the water has nowhere to go.

In my case, I purchased a 1652 bare hull and put my own decking in. It was easy to see that a heavy rain wouldn't drain fast enough without the addition of a drain.

I used a 10-inch wide/ 2-inch high floor register/grill similar to this one on Amazon.
    https://smile.amazon.com/MINTCRAFT-F...eat+duct+grill

The one that I bought didn't have the control flaps inside. Just an opening with the grill.
    regards, richg99

3. Member
    That will definitely work. Thanks
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

4. Member
    You do not need a floor drain. I have an 02' Pro175 and water just goes under the seat into the bilge. The cockpit floor is only 1" above the bilge.

5. Member
    Just a word of warning ( or maybe a just a good laugh for you). I was in a local tournament a few years ago. At that time, I had a 1648 Lowe aluminum bass boat. It had a back seat that was about one inch above the floor/deck.

I caught a ten-inch bass that qualified for the tournament (don't laugh).

When I was pulling him from the live well, he jumped out of my hand and slid UNDER the back seat! We weighed in four fish. When I got home, I had to pull the entire back seat/deck out to get to my now-dead fish. By that time, he was stiff.

I did submit a picture to the tournament director. I asked him if I could add the fish's weight to our total for the day! Ha Ha You know the outcome of that inquiry.

So, if you have a boat that has a one-inch opening under the seat, consider adding some sort of grill to keep slippery little fish from finding their way under the deck.
    rich

6. Member
    No problem with that on these boats since the carpet the front of the bottom of the seats joins the carpet on the cockpit floor, but not continuous to let the water through.