Pitch / speed conversion?

If your outboard can turn a prop at plenty high rpm's and you know you have room to move up to a pitch that is one or two more then you are running, am I correct in thinking you gain about 2mph for every pitch you move up?

2. Member
    No, there are a lot of factors that come into play here.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    If your outboard can turn a prop at plenty high rpm's and you know you have room to move up to a pitch that is one or two more then you are running, am I correct in thinking you gain about 2mph for every pitch you move up?
    Listing to what happened to me. Had gotten a prop worked and keep same pitch, lost speed and rpms. It was a 20 pitch raker. Running at 5600 rpms on my 115. So I sent it off to Andrew at lake Lanier. This guy is amazing. He told me I had multiple cracks, one I knew was there because it was visible. He said he's going to put it to a true 20, and balance it for me. Got the prop back and I'm not at 6200 rpms. What I'm getting at, if you have the money send it to him and let him to what he needs to do. You could see a larger prop and keep the rpms. I'd definitely give this guy a call. Really great people.