Skunked on Lake James again

I took the day off yesterday and went out on Lake James. I fished a wide range of lures and plastics and only had a couple bites, but didn't land a single fish. This is my second time being skunked on James. I new to NC and live in the Asheville area. I think I'll head south next time to Keowee or Hartwell.

Two old timers in a ranger were coming off the lake at the same time I was and they had a similar experience and only put 3 in the boat.

If any fellow NC residents have any advice for me, I'm all ears.

Thank you!

2. Member
    Throw jerkbais on deep main lake points. Jerk them hard and fast. The smallmouth can swim faster than you can work it. Flashy colors in the sun, dull finish when cloudy. My favorite is a Lucky Craft Pointer 78 SP.

I would think they should be spawning. I’m going Saturday

4. Banned
    They were on the beds three weeks ago. Not sure about now.

If you see 2 college kids in a Express boat with a big Yamaha on it take take lessons from em they been wacking the 4 lbers the last 3 days even caught a big walleye on a spook this morning
    Last edited by Frank A; 05-13-2018 at 02:39 PM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I would think they should be spawning. I’m going Saturday
    Any luck?

didn’t get out there till later in the day. Caught a lot of small fish. Biggest was only 3lbs. Missed a ton of fish figured they were on beds the way they bit. Didn’t see a lot of spawning fish because of the pollens and boat traffic.

8. Member
    was up there a week ago on sunday and again last sat.. best days on james in a long time.. all LM last sunday and all SM this past sat,, one SM was right at 4 pounds