Question Switching between transducers on Echomap Chirp 53cv?

I'm running a fish & ski boat and there isn't a good place to mount the CV22 transducer on my transom for high speed running.

I'm installing a NMEA 2000 network, as well as a Garmin GT8HW-1H shoot-thru-hull transducer (in the bilge area) for high speed use. The GT8 doesn't have clearVU, isn't NEMA 2000 compatible nor will it connect directly to the 53cv, without an 8 pin to 4 pin Garmin adapter cable, which I've purchased.

I'm considering going forward with the CV22 transducer for use at lower speeds or when trolling. Since the transducer input on the 53cv is already being used by the GT8, I'm hoping that the CV22 can be connected to the NMEA 2000 network.

Questions of the day:

Can the CV22 be connected directly to the network, perhaps by a Garmin 4 pin to NMEA 2000 cable and will it work properly?

Does the 53cv have the ability to switch between transducers?

Is there a problem connecting one transducer to the 53cv and the other to the network?

- WTR

PS - This stuff is new to me, even after 40+ years of boat ownership and fishing. I'm hoping you guys can teach an old dawg a new trick or two.

2. Member
    You are beating your head against a wall. Pretty certain non of the GT or CV transducers can be adapted to communicate over NMEA. If you want to connect a transducer that will communicate over NMEA your choices are limited. Read about it here:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/26510 Intelliducer, NMEA2000
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/68537 NMEA2000 Transducer Adapter Kit

The only dual transducer setup Garmin supports, two transducers connected through one cable, is their Y cable that allows a GT8, GT15 or some Airmar transducers to be used with the GT30. This cable only works with the GT30.

Your questions.
    The CV22 cannot communicate over NMEA.
    The 53cv does not have the ability to switch between transducers.
    You can connect the CV22 directly to the unit. To consider usingthe NMEA network with a transducer you need to be in direct contact with Garmin support. 800-800-1020.

The typical way multiple transducers are used is over an ethernet network with multiple units or a unit that has two transducer ports (7400/7600).
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    You are beating your head against a wall.
    That's why I have such a bad headache. lol

I have a 53cv at the console and one at the bow. I'll use the 53cv/GT8 at the console for running and the 53cv/CV22 on the bow for trolling.

Thanks for a very informative post and for getting me headed in the right direction.