Wood in a Cajun boat

Buying a 1996 Ragin Cajun 185 DC Travis Edition. Was wondering how much wood is actually in that year and model boat. I have read on here that the transoms are made of a aluminum and resin composite but am wondering if there is any wood in the rest of the boat. Thanks

Welcome to BBC! The decks, stringers, floatation boxes in the back, and backing areas (like dashboard) are wood. You will want to tap around on the cockpit floor and front deck to verify no soft spots. Inspect the bottom of the hull and transom edge for any damage that may have allowed water into the laminate. Also inspect the rubrail joint and caps in the stern to make sure they are well caulked.

3. Member
    Thanks. The decks and cockpit are solid but I did find the plywood under the bench seat. It's going to need a refurbish in the future. The way that bench is made if any water gets under there its staying until it dries out. May just build a new box and upgrade to newer seats.

Mine was the same way. Factory didn't seal them with resin, just painted with black paint... so water gets in the edges of the plywood and rots the whole works. Replaced them with new bucket seats and made a center step/console.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=452834

5. Member
    Very nice. Thanks for the link to the pics. My boat does not have the under seat storage though. Just the grey carpet covering what feels like soft plywood.