Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X19 with 175 SHO performance

Anyone running this boat with 175 sho with the 6" manual jackplate? Powertech 23p prop.
    My buddy just got one and cant get it to do over 54-55mph. He contacted Xpress and they referred him to the Xpress performance bulletin which says vent plate height 5.75 above bottom of boat.
    Can anyone running this combination give me some insight for the optimum height for the 6" jack plate as to where to start and how to make changes to get to optimum performance?

2. Member
    I am running 3.5" PTP. Plenty of water pressure, could probably go a little higher. Get rid of the Powertech prop. They suck on this boat and motor combo. I had same problem with speed as you with that prop. I went with a Turbo FXP 23p prop on mine. I am seeing consistent speeds of 61mph gps. I can hit 63mph gps but she gets a little squirrely.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

3. Member
    The performance bulletin states they are running A vmax sho Yamaha prop, 10” jack plate, which is a much better prop/jackplate setup for the 19. The main problem here is that if your motor height is lower than say 3.5 ptp it’s gonna run like crap because xpress ships these motors pretty much at their lowest settings, this the motor is buried in water that isnt as dense as surface water. Some dealers know this and raise it up when they get them, some dealers don’t. Even with the power tech prop, once you raise that motor to an appropriate height you will see much more speed. A better prop will then Get you an extra 4-5 mph. Take the advice of many on here, raise and re-prop, don’t waste time trying anything else until you have done that.

4. Member
    also, I just sold an H18 with a 115 sho, 6” jack plate, motor set 3.5 pad to prop, Yamaha pro 21 prop... that boat ran 53 all day long. Before the dealer had the motor at 5” pad to prop with a power tech prop and the boat would barely do 42. Just shows how raising it up and re-prop is what you have to do with these xpress hulls. This xpress forum is full of example after example of it. I now have an x19 with 175 and the factor prop, motor at 3.5 and it will run 64, just got it this week. I’m waiting on my new prop to come in the mail and will let you know how that changes things.

5. Member
    So turbo FXP 23p is the prop he needs?

6. Member
    FXP's are hard to get. At least when I looked for one. I have a 23P Tempest on mine. Same boat motor combo as your friend. As everyone said, get rid of the PT prop. I have mine for a spare just to get me out of a bind if that happens. I am running 3.5" PTP and need to go a little higher just haven't done that yet. At 3.5" I'm still over 20# water pressure. I can get to 6000 RPM's but have to over trim just enough to get squirrely. I think 3" may be the ticket for my set up. Speed is 61 mph gps.
    2018 Express X19 Yamaha 175 VMAX SHO

7. Member
    thank you for all the comments.

8. Member
    Anyone know the part number for the FXP Turbo 23P to fit a 175 Yamaha SHO? Boat is a 2018 model.

9. Member
    You may be able to get your dealer to swap out for you. My dealer took the powertech back and ordered the Turbo FXP prop for me. No out of pocket expense on my part.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

10. Member
    I will tell him to check with dealer. Unfortunately hes over 4 hours away, so who knows.

11. Member
    Ill be following this thread. Ive got the same set up and im having the same problem.

12. Member
    Also have the same setup. Contacted Mark Croxton at Mark's High Performance propeller and he recommends a Tempest Plus 24P blueprinted. There is another thread that has the recommended prop.. Running 66 and stable.
    2018 Xpress X19, Yamaha SHO 175, 10" Jack Plate, Helix 9 Mega SI, Helix 12 SI, Ulterra 80 Lb

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdeep View Post
    Also have the same setup. Contacted Mark Croxton at Mark's High Performance propeller and he recommends a Tempest Plus 24P blueprinted. There is another thread that has the recommended prop.. Running 66 and stable.
    I saw that post too, however he later stated that hot weather killed his performance and runs a 23p Tempest now and runs closer to the 62 range. I can’t find any post who says they run consistently above 62 that with any prop. Even the PT props that xpress puts on these seem to run about the same top end speed with right ptp setup. Better props just “handle” better. See my post on the Yamaha performance sheet, I still don’t get how they are running 2.25 pad to prop with a 23p and two people and claim to run 64.

Im eager too to find the right setup. Currently running 24p Yamaha sho prop 3.5 ptp and just touching 62 solo. I have tried going higher ptp as I have plenty of water pressure, but I just end up with less speed. Maybe I’ll try the 23p sho prop at the height on the performance sheet and see if it really does 64. I don’t know

just seems to me the 150 performs the exact same on this boat.... the 175 just doesn’t add much at all

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpress4Sho View Post
    The performance bulletin states they are running A vmax sho Yamaha prop, 10” jack plate, which is a much better prop/jackplate setup for the 19. The main problem here is that if your motor height is lower than say 3.5 ptp it’s gonna run like crap because xpress ships these motors pretty much at their lowest settings, this the motor is buried in water that isnt as dense as surface water. Some dealers know this and raise it up when they get them, some dealers don’t. Even with the power tech prop, once you raise that motor to an appropriate height you will see much more speed. A better prop will then Get you an extra 4-5 mph. Take the advice of many on here, raise and re-prop, don’t waste time trying anything else until you have done that.
    Which hole are they raising the motor to to get the proper height if its all the way down? This could be some of my issue as well.

Thanks,
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee X19 View Post
    Which hole are they raising the motor to to get the proper height if its all the way down? This could be some of my issue as well.

Thanks,
    My x19 175sho 24 Tempest b&b ran 66 gps with me and my wife in cold weather 1/2 tank of gas loaded heavy with tackle .My wife 125 pounds Boat was 1 to 2 mile faster with her in there .Hot weather full gas tank my son 285 and me 210 killed it .56 to 58 5400 to 5600 .Making oil so I went to a 23 Tempest. 63 full load by my self .60 with my son with me .Sent a new 23 to mark b&b 61 loaded just me .58 with my son .But the Boat handles great performs all speeds.I can run 32 to 34 trimed all the way up with out porpoising great for shallow flats.It performs as good as any Boat I have been in .Not the fastest.Tried a 23 Fxp 58 top speed .It was a used prop but in good shape.If you want to go fast get a 200 .You can waste a lot of time and money for 2 mph .Just go fishing

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickl View Post
    My x19 175sho 24 Tempest b&b ran 66 gps with me and my wife in cold weather 1/2 tank of gas loaded heavy with tackle .My wife 125 pounds Boat was 1 to 2 mile faster with her in there .Hot weather full gas tank my son 285 and me 210 killed it .56 to 58 5400 to 5600 .Making oil so I went to a 23 Tempest. 63 full load by my self .60 with my son with me .Sent a new 23 to mark b&b 61 loaded just me .58 with my son .But the Boat handles great performs all speeds.I can run 32 to 34 trimed all the way up with out porpoising great for shallow flats.It performs as good as any Boat I have been in .Not the fastest.Tried a 23 Fxp 58 top speed .It was a used prop but in good shape.If you want to go fast get a 200 .You can waste a lot of time and money for 2 mph .Just go fishing

unless someone post some amazing results using something different, this is the best advice out there I’ve seen. Probably gonna go back down to a 23p myself and let it be what it is.

17. Member
    I raised the Jackplate a bit today and took the boat back out. I was able to get 58MPH out of her on GPS. The boats still not reaching the top end of the RPMS (5600) but it was a little better. I guess ill take it up another 1/4 to 1/2 inch and see what happens. I still have good water pressure at around 20#, fully trimmed..... so i guess it can stand to go up a smudge more. I did notice i lost a little bite on the sharp turns though.

18. Member
    Just a heads up, i have raised the jackplate a good 3" from where it was set at from the dealer ship.

19. Member
    Throw that power tech in the garbage!
    \" If you ain\'t first, you\'re last!\"

20. Member
    So turbo FXP prop? Any other prop recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast