Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1989 361V...Like a kid in a candy store...

Hey guys, I sold my 2002 Ranger Cherokee last spring. I loved that boat, but always wanted a fiberglass hull. I cannot afford a new one and I have had the urge to buy an older Ranger and restore it at least to a fishable condition. Today, I found my project. I am so excited; it is a 1989 361V with a Mercury 150 XR4. I had the hull inspected and it is solid. I have no clue on the motor, but the hull was my main concern. There is a lot of good about this boat and will be a work in progress, but I am looking forward to it. I have never undertaken a project like this, so this will be a first. I feel like I got an excellent deal, considering the condition. Buying it from the original owner.....

I don’t know anything about these hulls or the motor, any information would be greatly appreciated.
    I will post pics as I go, but I am having trouble attaching them. I have posted pics before, but it is not working. I have shrunk them, renamed them, everything I know to do and it will not let me add them. Thx

Amos

Sounds like a great project, love the classic Rangers. Those motors are a 2.4 L steel bore. Gearcase was slightly different I believe (smaller) and had a 1.78 ratio on some. Check the lower, it could be good. If the motor doesn't run well, the 150 XR6 is a big upgrade and can be found for cheap, so can later 150 efi engines and 2.5 optimax 150s. Both great engines.

Folks on here are a good resource. We have restoration and power tips on our site for performance boats.

Try tinypic.com for pictures, you upload there, and use the URL they give you, just paste it here.

3. Member
    Congrats on the 361V I have a 94 and love it! Currently doing the carpet.

4. Member

5. Member

6. Member
    Cool looking old boat..

7. Member

8. Member
    That’s a good project!

9. Member
    I hope the motor is salvageable, I really would like to keep it all original. I have an appointment next week to have the motor inspected by a mechanic.

Looks nice, should clean up pretty good. If you're looking to refresh the gelcoat and bring it back, here's a thorough rundown on what to do.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2018...olor-and-shine

Great boats. Should be a fun project.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

12. Member
    my buddy has an 89 361 w xr4 ---i have tried to buy it from him for about 5 years . you will love the boat !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

13. Member
    Look's to be a solid boat . With a littler elbow work . May can buff out are some wet sanding . Motors was as bullet proof as they got doing the time ?
    I has a 1988 Stratos of that time with a 200 hp motor and the same brand plate .

Not to rob your post ,does any one know if those plates will hold a 3 liter motor .(Turbo ) plate .
    If you post the boat over on the NC forum for Crank 68 ...he could gave some good points on bring it back to life ....he does that part time . He will be under Boat Detailing

14. Member

Got her home...

15. Member

Vaccuumed her, washed, cleaned drains, removed batteries...
    Engine and inside cowling were covered in dirt dobbers, getting a battery tonight so I can test tilt and trim, then draining the fuel tanks..

16. Member

17. Member
    congrats!

- went through the same with an ‘85 340v.

- 300 series are great boats, and the 361 has the room up front to be a keeper for the long run.

18. Member

Got the seats removed, pumped old fuel out, replacing fuel filler hoses. Hooked up new starting battery and tilt and trim work. Fluid in lower unit looks good. Trying to get her ready to see the mechanic...

19. Member
    It always amazes me that boats like this are to be found... just sitting in someone’s backyard. You’re going to enjoy this rig!

20. Member
    I have my fingers crossed on the motor......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast