Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Nothing exciting to report, replaced hubs, fuel lines, cleaned fuel tanks, etc....Taking it to Merc mechanic today, fingers crossed.....

2. Member
    Paulrodbender, that is one gorgeous boat....

Thank you, Wave to Wave and agg5910
    Trust me, she still needs a few things but then again she's 30 years old and still shakes her tail end like the young girls.

4. Member
    I finally got the fuel tanks cleaned, bought new sending units and installed the new fuel valve in the splash well. I am taking it to a local trailer shop this Saturday to have some work done. I will take some pics. When I get it back from the trailer shop I am going to re-install the fuel tanks and then hopefully off to see the motor man.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    any updates on this project
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Member
    Hello agg5910!........... I am new to BBC but have a lot in common with you and your new Ranger. I live in SC and in October of 2017 I bought a 1991 model 361 V near Bluff City, TN. I am 3rd owner.

The guy I got it from had health problems and could not do much maintenance on the boat itself but he did take care of the 150 Johnson "Fast Strike". I had compression checked at Watson Marine in Bluff City and it was perfect on all cylinders. They knew the engine and the boat pretty well because the owner was a local tournament fisherman and was in and out for service, ect.

The VRO had been removed early on and the oil is manually mixed with the gas. There had been problems with oil injection during those early years so it was the best thing to do. These days I guess all that is worked out and dependable.

I've been going through much of what you're doing but so far have no issues with the tanks as the previous owner ran nothing but Ethanol-free gas and even used "Stabil" and Johnson oil only.

I had my local motor man check it out and we did replace one carburetor and replaced the water pump. Everything else checked out perfect. This engine runs great!
    This is my 2nd 361 and I absolutely love it!

Currently I'm cleaning up gel coat and replacing parts on the boat..........new carpet, for sure!........ and am planning full restoration (within reason) back to as close to original as possible.

I'm planning a lot of re-wiring, new gauges and upgrades in electronics. When I got the boat the hydraulic jackplate didn't work and had to have a new cylinder, screens and a general cleaning, but now it works perfectly. I'm planning to add a single unit "jack plate and trim switch" to the steering wheel column from Bob's Machine in FL.

I particularly like the fact that you have the fold down seats for driver and passenger. I have the big "bench-style" seat. Although big, comfortable and good-looking, I much prefer seats like yours in a fishing boat......more room for the co-angler, less to hit when casting and easier when moving back-and-forth off the back deck. My other 361 was like yours so that will be an upcoming project.

I'll be watching as you progress and I will gladly share what I learn on mine.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!...........Don

7. Member
    Hey guys, sorry for lack of updates. Boat is at a local trailer shop having bunk brackets and side guides replaced in addition to new wiring. On a separate note, took the trolling motor to a local shop and outside of looking a little rough, he said it works great. So I am going to try to clean it up and that will hopefully save me some money. As soon as I get it from the trailer shop I am going somewhere to get the motor checked....

8. Member
    The guy that is going to wet sand it came by to give me a quote and he wet sanded and polished a small spot on the gunwale and it shined up very nicely...

It's cleaning up nice, looks great. Love seeing the original finish restored! Keep us updated.

11. Member
    Sorry Guys, I kind of let this post die. I was activated by the Coast Guard for a year and have been living in North Carolina while this boat is in Florida. I since have re-installed the fuel tanks and had the trailer completely redone. The boat is sitting until I get back in June, when I will get the motor looked at, definitely going to get this thing finished.

12. Member
    It’s not going anywhere. It’ll be there when you get back. I know exactly how that feels! Hang in there

Gonna look nice !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    Your rig is looking good. I had a 1989 363V, it was a great boat and the only reason I got rid of it was because I fish a lake with a whole lot of cruisers on it and needed something bigger.

One recommended thing I would do before seeing the mechanic is changing out the fuel lines from the tank to the fuel switch to the motor. Change everything. The reason is that in 1989 they did not have Ethanol in the fuel, my fuel lines plugged up solid with crud from Ethanol. Get a marine fuel line that is stamped safe with Ethanol. Changing it out now and it will be very cheap, having your mechanic mess with the motor a few days then decide the fuel lines are bad will be a lot more expensive. Another thing I found was that the fuel sensor gaskets rotted, those are the two sensors on top of the tanks with 5 screws to them. Change the gasket out, I had to make my own but wasn't hard and was very cheap (less and $5).

The only other thing I would do is check the live-well and bilge pumps, they should be Mayfair cartridge pumps if the previous owner did not change them out. If they are Mayfair my could just get replacement cartridges for them if they don't work or are noisy.

The good think is that in 1988 ranger started using a pultruded transom so your has an all fiberglass transom which means it will not rot.

If you want a windshield get one from Custom Mold and Tint, they supplied Ranger with windshields in those days and they have a website where you can buy a new windshield.

15. Member
    Stretch1, thank you for the advice. I have already pulled the fuel tanks, cleaned them, new sending units, new fuel lines all the way back and a new fuel tank switch. I also replaced the lower unit lube, spark plugs, and all of the water lines on the engine, things I felt comfortable doing before taking it to the mechanic. All of the bilge and live well pumps work, but I may change them and/or cartridges out just because of their age.....

16. Member
    I had a 90 361V with a Yamaha ProV 150, bought it from a guy in my bass club when he bought a new Triton. Biggest issue was he let it sit outside in the CA sun uncovered so the gel was really bad and did not sand/buff out. I ended up having a guy spray new gel, he was "Ranger authorized" so he was able to actually get the exact same colors direct from Ranger. Lots of cleaning in the rear compartment, new pumps, rewired a few things and updated electronics (still has an old Eagle paper graph on it). Looked like a brand new boat when it was done, did re-carpet it as well at a later date.

I see you have the deck extension, makes a world of difference on floor space up front and storage. My only complaint was rod storage was pretty limited and could not get more than 1 7' rod in the box. But it was a great boat and still turned heads when I sold it back in 2014. Can't wait to see the finished product!

17. Member
    Thank you mean dean, I cannot wait to get it finished. I am going to try to call the motor guy I want to use tomorrow, if he can get me in, I think I am going to get a friend of mine to go ahead and take it there in Jacksonville, Florida...since I am in NC until July 1st.....

18. Member
    Well, I finally got a hold of the guy I want to look at the motor a friend is dropping it off for me. Hoping for good news in the next couple of weeks. I will keep this updated....

19. Member
    Fingers crossed for ya buddy !

20. Member
    Spoke to the mechanic on Friday, said he would be able to let me know something hopefully mid-week this week. He was supposed to dive into the powerhead on Monday or Tuesday. He said so far everything looks really good on the motor, which is promising. I have my fingers crossed and hoping for good news this week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast