Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    While he's in there (the mechanic) if the oil injection has not already been taken out, have him do it. Piece of mind. I have an 88 374 with the same motor, solid as can be. Install a recessed foot pedal asap, so worth it.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

2. Member
    Had to pull the fuel tanks, both have had gas in them since 1999 and they have a bunch of sludge and trash in them. Half of one of the fuel gauges dissentigrated into the tank. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to clean them or just try to replace them, there are two 18 gallon tanks. Can’t seem to find a consistent chemical solution or method online. They are pretty bad.....

3. Member

4. Member
    Both pedestals were stuck really bad, took some liquid wrench, a crow bar, and pipe wrench, but I finally wrestled them free.....

I'm curious to hear from "experts" who have cleaned out tanks as well. I've never done it, so I have no advice to offer. But the safest sounding advice from the internet I have read was this:

"I've tried all kinds of things in the shop where I used to work, from seafoam, carb cleaner, contact cleaner, MMO, penetrating oil, kerosene, diesel fuel, gasoline, E10, straight alcohol, dishwashing soap, gumout, parts cleaner, and on and on. Often a combination of things works best (but don't blow yourself up!)
    For a plastic fuel tank, I would first try fresh E10 with a little Sta-Bil and a good slug of seafoam mixed in. This gives you a reasonably benign mix of ethanol, naptha, gasoline and other "petroleum distillates" to dissolve the crud. You're not putting anything in there that should harm the saw. Give it time, at least a few days, and like other people mentioned help it by shaking frequently with lead shot, steel nuts or whatever else you might have. The ethanol in E10 is now actually good for something, as a solvent.
    Other stronger/harsher solvents like carb cleaner will likely work faster than the E10/Seafoam mix but you risk eating up the plastic."

6. Member

I bought some of the Super Clean Degreaser from Walmart, going to try it first. If not, I think I will go the E-10 and Seafoam route. I will post results when done. I contacted Ranger today and they do not have replacement tanks. I am going to try to clean these up, if that does not work, I will have to research for some type of replacement.

Question, is there a benefit of having 2 tanks? I would almost prefer 1 large tank….

7. Member
    I have an 89 374v with a 150 xr4. I have been through many of the same tasks that you are starting. I hope to post some information and pics that you may find interesting, tomorrow. At work tonight , so I have limited time at the moment. On the subject of the motor, I removed the oil injection and the timing advance module. My motor runs great and has been very reliable. Xr4’s are good motors.

8. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Following
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

9. Member
    RangerNate, any info and pics would be greatly appreciated. I will be out of town until Tuesday and will not be able to work on it until I return. Spoke to motor man yesterday and I am going to call him back when I return from out of town. Hopefully next week I can drop it off.

Yesterday, I called Ranger and got some prices on various parts. Ordered two new complete trailer hubs from Ranger. Trying to work on the must have items first. I also removed the old fish finder brackets and trolling motor. I will be working on trying to get the tanks cleaned next.

Love this boat, keep us updated. Great find.

11. Member
    How did you remove the seats ? I have a 365 I need to take the seats out but I don't see any screws. I removed the seats on a 1989 375 years ago but forgot how they come out, Anyone??..

12. Member
    I have cleaned small tanks made of similar plastic for lawnmowers by draining all fuel and removing the tanks. Then I put some water into the tank with some soap and add some pea gravel. Shake, shake, shake until the crud turns loose and rinse thoroughly with water. Sometimes it took several cleanings and rinses to remove stubborn crud.
    1994 Ranger 374V/1993 Johnson 150 Silver Star Series VJ150ELATR

13. Member
    RIP343, mine had about 6 threaded bolts, but the heads were covered with plastic caps. There were also 3 stainless screws in mine that I had to look for to find.

14. Member
    Wish mine had eighteen gallon tanks all my 1986 372 has is two eleven gallon tanks. Keep the updates coming please.
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible

15. Member
    Sorry for the delay guys. I got a bit lazy getting this post together. I hope that some of this will be informative, and if anyone would like anything expanded on further... Let me know.

I bought my boat- 1989 Ranger 374V/ Mercury 150 XR4, from a widow, last summer. I did not pay a lot for the boat, as it had been neglected for a bit during her husband's illness. It had been a great source of pride for him, but his declining health had kept him from caring for it the way he had for years. I still keep up with her and send her pictures of my progress with the boat and all the fun and fish we catch with it. I looked at two basic things when I bought it: General hull health and motor compression. I knew everything else could be overcome with elbow grease and money! The hull was just fine- solid everywhere. The motor made beautiful compression that was dead even on all cylinders. The worst part of the boat was the interior and the top cap is definitely sun beaten and faded. With all the general stuff out of the way, here is a list of all the things I addressed on the boat. Should anyone have questions regarding any of the work I have done, please ask. I will be happy to expand further.

Engine:

Replaced impeller and associated seals and housings.
    Changed lower unit lube.
    Removed oil injection- used the Merc bypass part and moved the oil/ fuel lines as necessary
    New spark plugs and wires
    Removed timing advance module and performed timing adjustments, and link and sync.
    Had the prop machined by a local shop that does great work. Also, got the right thrust washers and hub parts that the previous owner had gotten a bit wrong.
    Replaced all the fuel, oil, and water lines on the motor.
    Replaced fuel pump diaphragms- used the Mercury rebuild kit.

After this work, the motor ran great. Luckily, the previous owner had treated the fuel with stabilizer, so no gumming in the carbs.

Work done to the hull included:

Draining, removing, and cleaning the fuel tanks. My 374 has two 14 gallon tanks, and both were nearly full. I replaced all fuel lines on the boat.
    Replacing the two trolling and one cranking battery. I also replaced the battery mounting trays. I cant remember why, but there was something I didn't like about them.
    Replaced the two bilge pumps and all associated plumbing.
    Replaced the livewell pumps and all associated plumbing. I rebuilt the livewell valves with new seals and flappers.
    Removed several old tranducers throughout the hull.
    Completely removed all wiring for inspection and replaced any corroded connectors. I also took this time to remove suitcase connectors and get all the right fuses in the fusebox.
    I did a ton of cleaning of the bilge, drains, and compartments. There were a lot of lead split shot to get out of the compartment drains!
    Replaced all carpet on the boat.
    Replaced the original Ranger seats with generic buckets. I hope to get the originals re- done this year.
    I did a ton of wet sanding, polishing, and waxing to the hull
    I made sure all of the cleats and railings were secure.

Trailer:

Replaced tires, including spare.
    Rebuilt some hitch parts.
    Cleaned up/ repaired/ replaced light wiring and bulbs, as needed.
    Replaced hub bearings.
    Serviced and bled brakes
    Wet sanded, polished, and waxed fiberglass fenders

I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting and I will post some more, including pictures- soon. There are more things I would like to do, and am in the process of doing, but that's all I can think of, at the moment.

16. Member
    Cool story
    Last edited by 90bumblebee; 05-21-2018 at 07:10 PM.

In reference to the gas sludge problem, I had the same issue and found that E-85 worked to be an excellent solvent. I put five gallons in the boat tank at the gas station, and by the time I got home the inside of the tank looked brand new from the gas just sloshing around. I then used an electric fuel pump with several disposable filters to circulate the gas in the tank before pumping it into my flex fuel pick up to burn off.

18. Member
    Tinkered with a few odd and end items, put a gallon of super degreaser in one of the tanks and sloshed it around good. Flushed the tank with water and it’s not done, but looks pretty darn clean. Gonna work on cleaning tanks this week and putting in new fuel lines. Still waiting on the motor man, he is backed up so I am looking for some alternates now. I am very anxious to find out about the motor...good or bad, just wanna know where I stand.

Nice project you have sir and you'll like her a lot.
    I'm still running my 88 XR4 all original and with the oil injection with no problems and it moves the boat along pretty good.
    You can use pretty much any container with gas to start the engine, just stick the hose in a jug with new gas and prime the bulb.
    I do this every winter when I winterize the engine. Change the gear oil even if it looks good as them lower units are not cheap.
    When I bought mine and it had been sitting for a while, I changed, gear oil, plugs, poppet valve, thermostats, fuel filters (add a water separator if it doesn't have one),
    water pump and a few small hoses on the carbs. If she runs good and has good compression maybe I would run a can of "engine tuner" through it. Good luck with her.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post

Nice project you have sir and you'll like her a lot.
    I'm still running my 88 XR4 all original and with the oil injection with no problems and it moves the boat along pretty good.
    You can use pretty much any container with gas to start the engine, just stick the hose in a jug with new gas and prime the bulb.
    I do this every winter when I winterize the engine. Change the gear oil even if it looks good as them lower units are not cheap.
    When I bought mine and it had been sitting for a while, I changed, gear oil, plugs, poppet valve, thermostats, fuel filters (add a water separator if it doesn't have one),
    water pump and a few small hoses on the carbs. If she runs good and has good compression maybe I would run a can of "engine tuner" through it. Good luck with her.
    Beautiful!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast