Thread: BGE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Does the internal temp come up enough resting to be safe. I always thought safe for birds was 165-170
    I didn't spatchcock mine yesterday but I pulled it at 160, and covered it with foil for 10 min while I finished everything else. It was right at 165, when it was carving time.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I didn't spatchcock mine yesterday but I pulled it at 160, and covered it with foil for 10 min while I finished everything else. It was right at 165, when it was carving time.
    That's been my experience as well.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    well....what do you think so far????
    I did my first attempt on it yesterday. A whole roasted chicken, It turned out well. It is different than cooking on gas, thats for sure. I threw some asparagus wrapped in tin foil on it, when the internal temp got to about 145 figuring it would be finished about the same time. Not realizing the asparagus was blocking some of the air flow around the plate setter and it dropped the cooking temps, and it wouldn't come back up. So, I opened the vent a little, which in turn added more smoke and gave the asparagus a smokey flavor I didn't care for. Lesson learned. It will get better.

Thanks for the help. Curious why no lighter fluid?
    Take a taste of it and you'll know. ;) Get a charcoal chimney lighter. I stuff a few paper towels in the bottom and pour a couple tablespoons of vegitable oil on that then fill with however much charcoal I think I will need. I usually also toss the unburned stuff from the last time on top. Light the paper and in short order you'll have great coals. Just be careful is it gets super hot! Wear some sort of an oven mitt when you dump it in.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Take a taste of it and you'll know. ;) Get a charcoal chimney lighter. I stuff a few paper towels in the bottom and pour a couple tablespoons of vegitable oil on that then fill with however much charcoal I think I will need. I usually also toss the unburned stuff from the last time on top. Light the paper and in short order you'll have great coals. Just be careful is it gets super hot! Wear some sort of an oven mitt when you dump it in.
    I ended up buying a cheap electric lighter from Wal-Mart. Had it lit in less than 10 min.

6. Banned
    If your egg is set at a temp for awhile(pre heated)...then you throw in a big hunk of meat it will drop the temp. Do not adjust vents...it's just like a oven...the heat inside will come back to temp. Takes awhile, plus if the cold meat is close to the temp probe it will change reading. Trust in the EGG.

All the info you need is on the egghead forum, http://eggheadforum.com/. And get a thermapen.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Does the internal temp come up enough resting to be safe. I always thought safe for birds was 165-170
    Ive found about a 10 to 15 degree rise in temp once I cover and let it rest. That’s when I’m cooking over direct heat. Weird thing is I’ve not found as much temp rising when I cook low and slow. When I smoke my chickens I’ll let them ride to about 180 and they’ll be fall apart tender.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yammitman View Post
    Ive found about a 10 to 15 degree rise in temp once I cover and let it rest. That’s when I’m cooking over direct heat. Weird thing is I’ve not found as much temp rising when I cook low and slow. When I smoke my chickens I’ll let them ride to about 180 and they’ll be fall apart tender.
    Not weird that's the way it goes. Not much carry over on low n slow, hot n fast always has quite a few degrees of carryover.

Hey Clif, how have you been liking the Flameboss 300? My iq 120 finally bit the dust.

11. Banned
    I love the FB300...seems to do better when I don't use the wifi on my phone. Just the only thing I've noticed. Got a new phone so might be better now(old phone was a s4) now note8.

12. Member
    My fiance gave me a KAB for my birthday, today. For those of you that have them, did you leave the grate in or just use the basket?

13. Banned
    My fiance gave me a KAB for my birthday, today. For those of you that have them, did you leave the grate in or just use the basket?
    I just use the KAB solo. In both eggs

14. Member
    That's what I thought.

15. Member
    Anyone cooking pizzas on the egg? I've got a stone coming in today from amazon. Do I need anything else? I'm thinking platesetter (legs up), grill grate, stone. Do I need something in between the grate and stone?

16. Banned
    Anyone cooking pizzas on the egg? I've got a stone coming in today from amazon. Do I need anything else? I'm thinking platesetter (legs up), grill grate, stone. Do I need something in between the grate and stone?
    What stone did you buy?

17. Member
    16" Cast elegance stone from amazon

18. Banned
    16" Cast elegance stone from amazon
    Thickness?

19. Member
    5/8"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12