Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

They finally got me

I've lived in this house or 42 years without a major incident. It all changed last night when some low life excuse for a human being stole my two Humminbirds out of my Ranger parked in my driveway under a security light. I was going to head out early to the lake so I installed the two FF's and threw the cover on. Luckily, I decided to wait 'til morning to load up my rods and stuff. To make matters worse....instead of simply unplugging all the cables, they cut them all. Now I not only have to replace the units, but also the two pucks and the HDSI transducer. Insurance and Police have been notified. I'll let you know how it turns out. Needless to say, I'm fishing "blind" for a while. Oh yeah, got two Navionics map cards also.
    Last edited by tooboocoo; 05-09-2018 at 10:04 AM.

2. #FRB
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Thieves have a special place in hell! Hopefully everything turns out OK. Maybe check all the local pawn shops?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

makes you think if someone was watching your house and waiting..

They need to be on the receiving end of a good work out with a Louisville slugger.

5. Member
    Check pawn shops and craigslist. The POS who ripped off the Cumberland FLW guys got caught by trying to sell on Craigslist I think.

too bad you didn't get them on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Check pawn shops and craigslist. The POS who ripped off the Cumberland FLW guys got caught by trying to sell on Craigslist I think.
    Facebook sale groups are also popular now a days. They even have the Facebook Marketplace. I am sure tons of stuff gets sold there that is actually stolen goods. There is also the OfferUp app that is popular.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatrazor View Post
    They need to be on the receiving end of a good work out with a Louisville slugger.
    ^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

9. Member
    Shame we can’t electronically charge our boats and as soon as the perp touches it he is electronically incapacitated.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

People selling "head unit only" are always suspicious.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

11. Member
    I love the adds on FB Marketplace that have a pic of the person's passenger seat in their car and there is a pile of fishing lures in the seat. The add reads something like "lot of new fishing lures, and looks like most are Strike King and Zoom." "Not sure what all is in there, but will take $50 for everything." These lowlifes have zero shame.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

12. Member
    You can definitely pick up two new like kind quality units...keep receipts as you should have rcv plan to recover any withheld depreciation.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
    I've lived in this house or 42 years without a major incident. It all changed last night when some low life excuse for a human being stole my two Humminbirds out of my Ranger parked in my driveway under a security light. I was going to head out early to the lake so I installed the two FF's and threw the cover on. Luckily, I decided to wait 'til morning to load up my rods and stuff. To make matters worse....instead of simply unplugging all the cables, they cut them all. Now I not only have to replace the units, but also the two pucks and the HDSI transducer. Insurance and Police have been notified. I'll let you know how it turns out. Needless to say, I'm fishing "blind" for a while. Oh yeah, got two Navionics map cards also.
    Sent you a PM

14. Member
    With these graphs getting higher and higher in price and incorporating more tech each release it wouldn't be bad to have a find / disable feature. I know mine hooks up to my phone via Bluetooth and displays texts.. Which can be annoying by the way lol. If say you bought the unit and registered with HB you could then notify them of the theft. They then send out a signal which locates the unit upon it connecting to an open Bluetooth or wifi connection and boom.

I realize there are some hurdles which would need to be addressed but it would be possible as the tech continues to advance with units.

If you Call Humminbird and report them stolen with Serials they can Archive them so they will know if there is ever a Problem with it ..

16. Member
    From Axkiker "With these graphs getting higher and higher in price and incorporating more tech each release it wouldn't be bad to have a find / disable feature. I know mine hooks up to my phone via Bluetooth and displays texts.. Which can be annoying by the way lol. If say you bought the unit and registered with HB you could then notify them of the theft. They then send out a signal which locates the unit upon it connecting to an open Bluetooth or wifi connection and boom.

I realize there are some hurdles which would need to be addressed but it would be possible as the tech continues to advance with units."

I wonder how hard it would be for manufacturers to put in an OPTIONAL simple 4 digit passcode requirement before a unit can be operated?

Sure, we'd all have to put the code in before operation once each day.

But, I suspect that it would make those units have far less value on the re-sale/stolen goods market. It might keep the crooks from bothering to steal them in the first place.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    People selling "head unit only" are always suspicious.
    not really,most guys have the ducer mounted in the hull and buy the same brand units and just change head units

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    From Axkiker "With these graphs getting higher and higher in price and incorporating more tech each release it wouldn't be bad to have a find / disable feature. I know mine hooks up to my phone via Bluetooth and displays texts.. Which can be annoying by the way lol. If say you bought the unit and registered with HB you could then notify them of the theft. They then send out a signal which locates the unit upon it connecting to an open Bluetooth or wifi connection and boom.

I realize there are some hurdles which would need to be addressed but it would be possible as the tech continues to advance with units."

I wonder how hard it would be for manufacturers to put in an OPTIONAL simple 4 digit passcode requirement before a unit can be operated?

But, I suspect that it would make those units have far less value on the re-sale/stolen goods market. It might keep the crooks from bothering to steal them in the first place.

That's a really good idea

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post

That is a great idea.. I cant imagine with everything these darn things do it would be hard at all.

This post reminded me that I left my two Helix's in the back seat of the truck when I got home late last night. Bad habit of mine.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast