Side imaging advice

Is there a general rule of thumb and range in relationship to depth? I’ve heard a number of things. For example you’re in 20 feet of water your side imaging range should be set to 60 for the best results?
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

2. Member
    4-5 times the depth is often the recommended distance. I very rarely go past 50' per side, and for the most part opt for AUTO. Especially when shallow, which btw is almost always.

Three times depth

4. Member
    After finally upgrading to a 1040Xs and reducing the scan range I feel like I my SI is much more useable.

Its just not feasible to display 200ft (100each side) of data onto a small display. The manufacturers should almost limit the range by the display size.

Speaking of that I wonder if I could do the left side on one of my 1040s and the right side on the other 1040? (1040s sit side by side)

5. Member
    I was playing around with my 7610 last night and I thought it perform best at the three times depth ratio MonteSS has suggested. I guess in the past I’ve asked it to do too much going out 150 feet in 20 to 25 feet of water. I couldn’t believe how much better the image quality was. Wondering if that’s what others have experienced also.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

6. Member
    I don't think there is one rule that you can use, regardless of the depth of water you are in. You might use the example of a photograph. There will be a point zooming in and zooming out that you get a terrible picture. MonteSS's suggestion of 3 x the depth is a good starting point for 20-30 FOW. I never use the AUTO selection though. Ranges too far for my liking.

Also keep in mind that side imaging is similar to drawing to scale. Do your math. If your screen is displaying 150 ft to each side, 300 ft., how big will a 16 inch fish be on the screen, or a 2 inch limb off of a 6 inch trunk?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    After finally upgrading to a 1040Xs and reducing the scan range I feel like I my SI is much more useable.

Its just not feasible to display 200ft (100each side) of data onto a small display. The manufacturers should almost limit the range by the display size.

Speaking of that I wonder if I could do the left side on one of my 1040s and the right side on the other 1040? (1040s sit side by side)
    Don't know about the 1040xs, I have plus units, can do it on them. This was a selling point for me.
    Left on one side, right on the other. Side on one screen, down on the other, etc.