Thread: Lake Sharpe?

Lake Sharpe?

Can anyone tell me what year they took the restrictive regulation off of Lake Sharpe for SMB? Like ten years ago or something? Had a great couple days on the water Sunday and Monday. Bigger fish were harder to find but did catch 8 -18s, 11-17s over two days, and the gamut of lower than that. This truly couldve been a world class smallmouth fishery had they left the upper end fish protected. I cannot believe how many bass go to the cleaning table in South Dakota..

2. Member
    I'll check with a couple guys to see if they remember.

Were there a lot of boats on Sunday? I think SD Bass Nation had a tourney there last weekend.

It is a good lake. Can be tough in the heat of the summer.

It is sad that many people measure success on how fast they can get their limit and head to the cleaning station.... This will be a tough hill to climb to get Walleye fisherman to C/R any kind of fish.

Oahe has bigger fish IMHO. There are some brutes there. Perhaps the sheer size and tendency to get really rough helps it.

Sharpe is a lot closer to a lot of people and the Interstate. I have fished it many times, but lately I have been heading up to your part of the world as I feel there are better quality fish in some lakes.
    Dave

3. Member
    I seen some bass stylle boats flying by on Sunday, but there was no pressure where I was fishing. I never had a boat near me either day actually. I have a cabin at Chamberlain. I call it my "Okoboji Getaway" lol. Its just easier for me to fish Sharpe rather than Oahe. I would like to explore more of the bass bite on Francis Case earlier on before Sharpe opens up..

4. Member
    Francis Case is fun. I have fished it after a thanksgiving and caught fish. I know some guys who have caught bass last year in feb.
    Dave

5. Member
    I was on Sharpe last Sunday and caught 3 3 pounders in about 30 minutes. The wind was down and you could see schools of bass in 10'.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs