Fizz or not to fizz

I did a search and this -topic was old (2016).
    what is the best for the fish? Is there a true replacement for needles that I’m not seeing?
    at all of the trunaments here this year on lanier. looked like 50% of the spots needed a needle Polk to get them strait. And I must say the guys working them did a great job with very small amount of loss.
    what is the best tool for the job?
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

2. Member
    Definitely needle
    the clip weights work just to keep them stable in the livewell but that is it. The fish is still stressed in the livewell. Fizzing once done is extremely simple
    Nitro z21

Some guys around here buy needles from Tractor supply that are used to give farm animals their shots.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Banned
    TSC is where I get mine. 10 pack for under $10
    A bag of alcohol disinfectant wipes for under $5
    And I'm good to go.
    Cheap clean and good for the fish

5. Member
    It's this simple, you don't fix em, they will die.

Also, fizzing too long is as bad as not fizzing at all. Too much fizz and they sink like a rock and are dead just the same.

A reamer is a must have. Makes the job much easier.

6. Member
    They sell fizz needles on TW

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

One of our guys used a heavy jighead (2 oz, I think) with the barb smashed down, on an old rod/reel. Hooked the fish on and dropped it to the bottom in 20'-30' OW, waited a minute or two and the fish would unhook itself.

We were told by the DF&W guys that fizzing was a short term fix, but the fish would die because their organs were too damaged.

I had a nice SM that was hooked in 16' of water, and it had to be fizzed. I didn't get a birthday card from it, so I have to assume that it didn't make it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    One of our guys used a heavy jighead (2 oz, I think) with the barb smashed down, on an old rod/reel. Hooked the fish on and dropped it to the bottom in 20'-30' OW, waited a minute or two and the fish would unhook itself.

We were told by the DF&W guys that fizzing was a short term fix, but the fish would die because their organs were too damaged.

I had a nice SM that was hooked in 16' of water, and it had to be fizzed. I didn't get a birthday card from it, so I have to assume that it didn't make it.

I havent heard of fizzing being being negative when done right. Anything is possible. If you search tactical bassin about a year ago they did a video on releasing deep fish and as you mentioned using a weight they, used a marker bouy if I recall that worked very well. Worth the watch as are all fizzing videos if you fish deep and don’t plan to release these fish ASAP.
    Nitro z21