Thread: Talon 12 or 15

Talon 12 or 15

I’m looking for opinions on the 12’ and 15’ talons. I fish deep water and wandering if the size of the 15 is rediculously
    to big? Is the weight of the 15 to much to hang off the back of the boat?? Is anyone using a 15?? Do you like it?

Thanks

2. Member
    I've got the 15s. They are heavy but I've enjoyed having the 15' ability and used them more than I thought i would

3. Banned
    Like with everything in a guys life at times I wish my 15's were longer. Very glad I waited to get the 15's. Yes they do change the CofG of the boat. The handling and floating angle of the boat is different with the weight all at the back. A little rearranging of the gear made it better.
    Personally I would recommend the 15's if your boat is 19'+

4. Member
    My dealer talked me out of the 15' Talons because he felt they would be too tall on the boat. Being too tall really didn't bother me, but I trusted his judgment and went with the 12' Talons.

My 12' Talons are not much taller than the engine and work perfectly once all updates are done and the Bluetooth has been paired. My Talons are also VERY quiet!!! I was surprised how quiet they were after hearing people on BBC say how noisy their Talons were.

I doubt you can go wrong with either pair!

Enjoy!

M

5. Member
    My talon is very quite too, the only time it's noisy is when that very last piece goes into the talon housing, you can hear it clunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMyles View Post
    My dealer talked me out of the 15' Talons because he felt they would be too tall on the boat. Being too tall really didn't bother me, but I trusted his judgment and went with the 12' Talons.

My 12' Talons are not much taller than the engine and work perfectly once all updates are done and the Bluetooth has been paired. My Talons are also VERY quiet!!! I was surprised how quiet they were after hearing people on BBC say how noisy their Talons were.

I doubt you can go wrong with either pair!

Enjoy!

M
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

I know you did not list this as an option but I would consider 8 ft Talons and Minn Kota Ultrex to hold my position in anything over 8 ft deep. This will be a more expensive route but I think it will be the best option if the pocket book can handle it.

7. Member
    I appreciate everyone’s help on this topic. Please keep your opinions coming... I’m still currently undecided! I have a Terrova already. I fish allot in the river and allot deep standing timber.

8. Member
    IMHO, the Ultrex does not replace a longer Talon. They compliment each other. I have had 8' Talons for 5 years and can't decide whether I should replace them with 12's or 15's. There are plenty of times when the boat is in 10 to 12 feet of water and I don't want my trolling motor coming on.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac18 View Post
    IMHO, the Ultrex does not replace a longer Talon. They compliment each other. I have had 8' Talons for 5 years and can't decide whether I should replace them with 12's or 15's. There are plenty of times when the boat is in 10 to 12 feet of water and I don't want my trolling motor coming on.
    This is why i went with 15s. If I'm flipping grass in 13' I can't hit the spot lock and wash out that edge. I can hit the talons though. Same for a brush pile in 12 or 13' or some stumps on a point. I can drift in and put the talons down and never make another sound except when the fish go crazy on the end of the line

10. Member
    15'

11. Member
    I’m getting the 15’! If anyone is interested, Bassman25 is the Guy!

12. Member
    Yes he is. And you will love them

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Thank you for the business. Love the referrals, I appreciate it! Post up some pics when you get it installed.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

I just removed 8' Talons and installed 15s. The height is approximately 93" from the floor. The 8s were approximately 83". I may have to modify my carport to get them under without using the tilt brackets.

I borrowed this chart from WJM Marine website: First time I've come across this breakdown:

MODEL
    DEPLOY DEPTH
    STOWED HEIGHT
    WEIGHT
    8' Talon
    8 Feet
    41 inches
    38 lbs.
    10' Talon
    10 Feet
    49 inches
    43 lbs.
    12' Talon
    12 Feet
    57 inches
    47 lbs.
    15' Talon
    15 Feet
    69 inches
    55 lbs.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nikldac View Post
    I just removed 8' Talons and installed 15s. The height is approximately 93" from the floor. The 8s were approximately 83". I may have to modify my carport to get them under without using the tilt brackets.

I borrowed this chart from WJM Marine website: First time I've come across this breakdown:

MODEL
    DEPLOY DEPTH
    STOWED HEIGHT
    WEIGHT
    8' Talon
    8 Feet
    41 inches
    38 lbs.
    10' Talon
    10 Feet
    49 inches
    43 lbs.
    12' Talon
    12 Feet
    57 inches
    47 lbs.
    15' Talon
    15 Feet
    69 inches
    55 lbs.

Id just get the tilt brackets, youll need them under some bridges and its nice to lay them down to spray them with something once in a while... most issues with talons are from being filthy.