Older Zillions/Type R upgrade to TWS models?

So, thinking about upgrading a few combos, switching over from older non TWS Zillions to ZIllion TWS or Tatula TWS. Am I being crazy? Is TWS all it's advertised to be finally? Have the early line gouging issues pretty much been corrected?

Mainly thinking of replacing reels on my Flipping/Pitching/Jig/Frog setups... What will TWS give me over upgraded Old School ZIllions/SV103/Zillion Type R's... or am I chasing unicorns replacing with TWS?

2. Member
    I believe the tws does help casting a bit, however I do not believe it is a magnificent world changing tool.. just my 2 cents.. I have plenty of non tws diawas that cast just as good.. my opinion of u have the coin and want some new stuff go for it..
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

3. Member
    Lol if you do, message me about those type r’s

lol yeah the Type R's will be last to go, they are so hard to find now.. esp in LH. One reason I'm considering changing over... Really thinking maybe changing over from SV103 to TWS ie for Frog Rod and casting rods, not so much on pitching/flipping setups which are Type R's now.

5. Member
    Do not get rid on the type R's. I have the zillion T-wing and the a Type R along with Two J Dreams. The Type R and J Dreams outcast the T-wing easily for me.

yeah, I've decided to keep the Type R's and decided to look at some non SV spools for a couple of my SV103... Just trying to decide on spool - Steez 103, TD-Z R+, 1016, etc...

7. Banned
    OG Zillions and SV103s are light years better than any TWS reel.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    yeah, I've decided to keep the Type R's and decided to look at some non SV spools for a couple of my SV103... Just trying to decide on spool - Steez 103, TD-Z R+, 1016, etc...
    The Steez 103 spool performs nicely in the SV103 as does the RCS1016. Just choose what works for you and the bait youre going to throw. The RCS spool for me fits the bill for anything over 1/2 total weight.

yeah I am leaning that way, the 103/R+ spools are a little short on capacity for 60+ braid for frogs, so the T3 RCS 1016 might be a better choice.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Sent you a PM, I have a Steez 103 or a 1016 I'd like to trade for SV 103.

11. Member
    TWS system hasn’t failed me yet. More than 20 reels with it. Only thing I do not use it for is flipping. SV103 for that (pretty much old zillion). I flip by pulling line with free hand raising and dropping in pockets, if line was to be pulled up and over the t wing and to do a hook set without a doubt heavy braid will break it. Tat SV is a great platform the Zillion SV even better if you run straight fluoro.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite | Merc 250 ProXS

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    truth

13. Member
    I'll buck the trend here. I sold my last 2 OG zillion type-r's so i could get more zillion SV's. Personally like the zillion SV a lot better.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Agree - I just love them !

I'm a fan of both platforms and have fished them extensively. The original Zillion is and always will be a great reel, just like the TD-Z. I have several new Daiwa SV reels, including a custom 9:1 Zillion SV TW and a 7.3 that I fish frequently. From the first cast with the new reels, I knew they were the real deal. They are smooth, powerful, cast fantastic, and have SV control. I was not as big a fan of the first generation TWS Zillion, but the new and current Zillion SV TW models are excellent.

16. Banned
    I just bought a few steez tws reels, they are the smoothest casting reels I own. The rest of my reels are shimano aldebaran, chronarch and lews mag super. The tws system lets 15 lb floro come off like its 8 lb floro on the other reels. Im a believer and switching over to daiwa and losing the shimano.