Thread: stuck pedestal

stuck pedestal

Recently purchased a new seat base and 3/4 pin attwood pedestal for the rear seat in my boat.

Used it once and now the pedestal is stuck on the base .

Still able to use the seat but need to remove the seat and pedestal and stored it in my truck on the way to the lake .

Figure I will removed the base from the seat and try to get them apart , pipe or strap wrench around the pedestal ?

Maybe put the pedestal in a vice and hit the base with a rubber mallot to break it free.

Put something down to protect the carpet (plastic and painters tape).
    Carefully apply some PB Blaster (penetrating oil) to the base/pin and let it soak.
    Try using a car jack and a board from the floor to underneath the pedestal seat, and jack it up to apply upwards pressure. Tapping the pedestal with a mallet may help persuade it - and a strap wrench may assist in turning it up and out with the pressure from the jack.

Good luck!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Put something down to protect the carpet (plastic and painters tape).
    Carefully apply some PB Blaster (penetrating oil) to the base/pin and let it soak.
    Try using a car jack and a board from the floor to underneath the pedestal seat, and jack it up to apply upwards pressure. Tapping the pedestal with a mallet may help persuade it - and a strap wrench may assist in turning it up and out with the pressure from the jack.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice on removing the pedestal.

I sprayed it with aerokroil ( great penetrating oil )

From there I removed the base from the seat, since it was off the boat already.

Stood on the seat base and twisted and pulled on the pedestal and it came free.

Turns out there was some type of debris in the pedestal that made it tough to remove and wedged it in there.

Going to use the old seat base until the new pedestal wears in a bit .

Appreciate the advice castingcall, you have helped me out before.