Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Project Activator - full restoration

I know it is not a bass boat, but all of the same things apply here. Plus, later when we set up and rig the boat, it is very much the same principals for performance bass boats. This a full restoration of a 1990 22' Activator, it will use new composite structural pieces and everything will be new.

We have episodes 1 through 5 up on YouTube now. Subscribe and follow along if you can. Hopefully we can share information and inspire people to restore some great fishing and performance boats!

Ep 1: Introduction.

Ep 5: In this episode we move things to the shop, where we look at the transom and stringer install. We talk about how the stringers were formed to fit perfectly to the hull, bonded in place, and we used 2408 fiberglass to glass everything in. The resin used is a proprietary resin Mark at Rage Powerboats likes to use. We also discuss the fuel tank plans and putting in the reinforcing tabs.

Very cool project!! Watched the whole series thus far, and will continue to watch for updates. Please post updates on this post for us, as you add more vids too!

Tip: On Episode 5, you should probably have waited until end of work shift so there wasn't as much background noise to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Very cool project!! Watched the whole series thus far, and will continue to watch for updates. Please post updates on this post for us, as you add more vids too!

Tip: On Episode 5, you should probably have waited until end of work shift so there wasn't as much background noise to contend with.
    Thank you!! Yes, we agree. We will try and get a better microphone arrangement and hopefully less noise next time!

4. Member
    Super cool approach! This could be a wonderful learning experience for those willing to indulge. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by 90bumblebee View Post
    Super cool approach! This could be a wonderful learning experience for those willing to indulge. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for the support. I can't wait to get on the water!

The next episode will be up soon. We have the bulkheads almost done and will begin to finish the inside of the hull, and start measuring for a new tank etc.

One thing I am thinking a lot about is the engine now. And, with the new Mercury's it makes it even more difficult. Here's what I am thinking. I was kind of sold on going with a 225 HP engine, for combination of performance and budget.

1. Mercury V6 3.4 225 - add after market solid mounts (digital controls)
    2. Mercury V8 ProXS 225 (digital) add solid mounts
    3. G2 225 - aftermarket solid mounts (digital)
    4. Yamaha SHO 225 - aftermarket solid mounts (mechanical)
    5. Racing 250R (comes mechanical only for now)

The mercury V6 wins on weight, and price. The Yamaha is a close second. The 250R is tempting because out of the box it is excellent, already has solid mounts, would prefer digital, but not a deal breaker. A little pricey though.

What do you guys think?

I think that's like asking the inmates if they want the keys to the asylum.

#2 - Would really like to see the new V8 ProXS in action.

I think that's like asking the inmates if they want the keys to the asylum.

#2 - Would really like to see the new V8 ProXS in action.
    Haha, true. Really is a tough decision. I find I am less brand bias then I used to be. We'll look a the prices, and other factors and probably decide soon.

9. Member
    I second the proXS V8.

Episode 6 is up, we show the bulkheads installed, talk about the notch in the transom and if we might fill it. Plus, we talk about the engines.

The Coosa construction is very clean and your glasswork is very neat and tidy.
    What kind of speeds are you anticipating with either the Merc or Yamaha engine?

Also curious that you'd consider filling in the notch in the transom...? Previously, you've mentioned amount of setback, depending on how big of a jackplate you end up using. Would filling the notch provide gains in DCG balance at lower speeds, or ?

This is quick episode showing the support tabs outside the stringers glassed in. We ordered a 55 gal tank. Will start ordering more hardware soon. Then turn the boat over to blueprint the hull.

Measuring for the interior has started. Floor will go in. Filled the dash. You can see how the bulkheads were tied into the deck. That will be removed, along with some other repairs to the deck.

I think I'm pretty much decided on color, and engine.

Notice that color difference in the faded blue:

Dash filled

After a delay in the project, we got our fuel tank delivered, and will be buying an engine this week or early next. Once we do, we can get some more hardware. Should have an episode up soon.

It's between Merc and Evinrude now. The G2 is growing on me, I think an all black one looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    The G2 is growing on me, I think an all black one looks good.
    All black stealth would be cool! Especially without accent colored stripes - and replace white vinyl lettering with contrasting black vinyl (matte or gloss, depending on cowl being correspondingly gloss or matte).

All black stealth would be cool! Especially without accent colored stripes - and replace white vinyl lettering with contrasting black vinyl (matte or gloss, depending on cowl being correspondingly gloss or matte).
    That would be cool! I am going to look into blacking out the accent stripe.

This one has the accent stripe "blacked" out.

Fuel tank arrived. Might wait for more progress for the next episode. Ordering more hardware tomorrow.

19. Member
    Looking slick!

A new episode is up. Sorry for the delay. More progress is in the works so hopefully another video next week with major updates.

Fuel tank, and rotten core in deck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast