Triton TR186 - Baystar

Hi All,

Can anyone who current runs a Triton Tr186/9 with a 150hp using Baystar hydraulic steering send me some video footage (if available) of your boat driving on the water. Preferably at WOT, just so i can be sure this would be a option for my new steering set up.

Yes, i know Seastar is preferred, but I know Triton sells these rigs with Baystar.

Again, I'm looking for any video footage from owners with Baystar and a 150hp motor.

Thanks,
    Ben
    2013 Lowe FM165 WT
    90hp Mercury Optimax
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 106sv
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 93sv

2. Member
    Triton has now gone with the Sea Star Steering standard on all 150 hp rated boats and above.

3. Banned
    guy I work with just switched to Seastar, Baystar was to sticky loaded up.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmilam84 View Post
    Hi All,

Can anyone who current runs a Triton Tr186/9 with a 150hp using Baystar hydraulic steering send me some video footage (if available) of your boat driving on the water. Preferably at WOT, just so i can be sure this would be a option for my new steering set up.

Yes, i know Seastar is preferred, but I know Triton sells these rigs with Baystar.

Again, I'm looking for any video footage from owners with Baystar and a 150hp motor.

Thanks,
    Ben
    What info do you hope to gain by watching a video?

5. Member
    I just installed a Seastar system this off season on my '05 TR186. Do not go with the Baystar system, it is not designed to handle the torque under full throttle. If you call Triton they will NOT recommend a Baystar at all. A bass rig is a high performance boat and Baystar is not built to handle anything other than more runabout boats (with lower speeds).

6. Member
    Savage, i was hoping to see it in action. see how it handles at WOT, at idle. not sure your condescending questions/attitude is necessary, maybe next time if you have nothing helpful or insightful to add, just move along. Jerk.
    2013 Lowe FM165 WT
    90hp Mercury Optimax
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 106sv
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 93sv

How did you take Savage’s comment as condecending? That is a stretch...

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmilam84 View Post
    Savage, i was hoping to see it in action. see how it handles at WOT, at idle. not sure your condescending questions/attitude is necessary, maybe next time if you have nothing helpful or insightful to add, just move along. Jerk.
    Relax Ben...... No need for name calling. I was just wondering how a video could SHOW you the difference in how the two hydraulic system's perform, relevant to one another........Nothing more.

I didn't realize that a difference in hydraulic systems can be established by watching somebodies hands in a video, and that maybe you could teach us something new that the rest of us have never heard about.
    Last edited by Savage; 05-10-2018 at 01:38 PM.

9. Banned
    Don’t do it, I’d lay odds you’d be sorry

10. Member
    My buddy has a 2016 189TRX with a 150 Pro XS that he brought new and it came from the factory with Bay Star steering. I was scratching my head when I seen it.

No way I would put a Baystar on that boat just to save a couple bucks, the safety comfort level of having the Seastar is worth the extra money.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJolley View Post
    No way I would put a Baystar on that boat just to save a couple bucks, the safety comfort level of having the Seastar is worth the extra money.
    Agree 100%

13. Member
    I have the 2016 189trx with baystar and have no issues whatsoever. Run smoothly