RT188 owners, how are you storing rods in rod locker?

I have been using rod socks and putting bait casters on bottom and spinning on top. Have to double up some and it just seem to be a mess. Have been using the holder in the back. Wondering how it will work with out the holder? Will it flex rods in top tubes too much? Wish I could just take tubes out and open up the front.
    Semper Fi

You can remove the tubes altogether, but I would suggest you build some sort of open box to replace it. If you remove the tubes - it's open access to the hull/wires/beams and you wouldn't want rods banging around there.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

I carry 12 rods. I use the holder and I do not store boxes in the side slots. I put 4 baitcast in the bottom tubes and 4 spinning in the top tubes. Then I double up the two outside bottom and top tubes with my shortest baitcast rods and let those rods hang over the side slots for boxes. I use rod sox on all them and it works fine for me. More than 12 though and it is going to get difficult.

4. Member
    I use socks and store a couple spinning rods on bottom since I don’t use them as much and fill the top with baitcasters. You can load a bunch in there with socks! I have 8 3700’s down the sides of the rods. Going to hit the water when I’m done with the dentist this AM.

5. Member
    Quit drooling and get fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I use socks and store a couple spinning rods on bottom since I don’t use them as much and fill the top with baitcasters. You can load a bunch in there with socks! I have 8 3700’s down the sides of the rods. Going to hit the water when I’m done with the dentist this AM.

6. Member
    I fit 11 no problem. Rod socks for sure also bait wraps are a huge help on anything tht has trebbles tied on. I took the holder out just easier for me to lay them down and stack them.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12” - bow
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 12” - console

7. Member
    I probably don't have enough to really over fill the rod locker. I have 9 in there, doubling up in 1 of the tubes. I use rod socks on all for protection and to help the rods glide in easily. The rest pretty much get strapped to the deck. Probably a total of 16 rods. I guess if I were going out of town or somewhere the rods would be exposed to theft then I'd have to double up all the tubes.

8. Member
    I run rod socks, reel wraps and bait wraps for trebles. Run 12 baitcaster combos and 4 spinning combos for a total of 16 and have fit more. I put 2 per hole on the bottom and stagger out the reels (only 4 butt-ends go through the divider, handles down, the rest stop at the divider but lay on the floor handles up) On top I put two spinning rods per hole to the left, stagger the reels, even remove or collapse the handles to fit one or two more. Four more bc combos go to the right and if needed I can cradle two more in between each pair with the reels facing up. Behind the divider I store the reel wraps and bait wraps when using that particular rod.

I do not run tackle organizers under my rod box lid, that helps. I do run 12 Plano 3700-A boxes on each side of the rods and this system works very well for me.

9. Member
    I grew to despise that holder. It’s gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    This is what I do too. Works great. I like the Ranger rod box design.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Illymost View Post
    I grew to despise that holder. It’s gone now.
    I thought it was pretty cool when I finally got my own boat. Now I hate it... LOL

12. Member
    I will try taking the holder out and see how that works.
    Semper Fi

13. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    I have 8 3700's on the sides and usually between 12-15 rods utilizing rod socks. No specific reason for how they are in their other than planned higher use rods on top.

The rod holder I left in the first slot, giving the rods the most room, but I will stick packs of extra soft plastics I plan to use in the opening for easy access.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

14. Member
    16 rods double up each tube with rod socks and neoprene reel covers

15. Member
    I moved the holder and it seems to be working better for me.

Thanks all.
    Semper Fi

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by almostlude01 View Post
    16 rods double up each tube with rod socks and neoprene reel covers
    I think I am suffering from rod poverty, a mere nine in my box
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway