2000 Johnson 90 - lost two cylinders

Posting for a friend of mine, he called me the other night needing a tow back to the ramp. J90PLSSE. Motor ran fine for about an hour. On his way back home - started to sputter and then died. Sounded like it either got trash or water in carbs and only would run on a couple of cylinders. He could work to restart and it would run for a minute or so and then die again. He had a tech come out yesterday and check the carbs, which looked fine, then checked spark (fine). Pulled the starbord side plugs and looked and he said it looked dry. He pulled the head and confirmed both the cylinders were dry. Now, me and Mac are scratching our heads as to why only two cylinders would go. VRO was replaced(new) last year as well as all the ignition parts - carbs were also gone through and rebuilt. Any ideas? I took some pics last night and it doesn't look too bad but what are the options here? He just got the boat back together last week after repalcing carpet, seats, etc. The oil and gas lines were NOT disconnected while doing the boat work. Appreciate any thoughts ideas.

thanks,
    M
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Mike,

Looks like they may have gotten hot, pull the fuel line off the starboard intake side and see if there is fuel in the hose, give the bulb a squeeze and see if mixed fuel oil comes out. the water passages look like possibly some mud in the cooling jackets. Cheapest thing to do is tear it down, and have it bored out .030" and install two new oversize pistons. Dirt dobbers could have got in the cooling passages and plugged them up. Good luck.

3. Member
    Thanks Champ. I'm no pro by any means but I was expecting to see a lot worse when inspecting cylinders. I didn't think about dirt dobber or overheating thing. That would make sense - any ideas on what that would cost? Also, suggestions on a rebuilder in the area?

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No idea on one since I left may ask the guy that checked it out. I know Anderson Auto on Main st will do the machining on the block just make sure you have the pistons in hand before you take it in.

5. Member
    Tthank you sir. We will look at options.