Banned

FRIED rev limiter on 2004 50hp 2 stroke ELPTO...or what is this?

Been having a ton of trouble recently and I think its getting worse. It started with me hearing a constant beep when the boat was on. Heres the thread I started for that... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=894859

Also called Mercury today and they basically confirmed what the threads and googling lead me to believe. Low oil or overheating problem. I still think its the oil tank reservoir since the motor pee's just fine visually. I got the oil tank now....but ran into some electrical FIRE problems....and here is the thread for that (LOTS OF PICS too)... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=901216

So think I figured this out to be loose/unconnected positive and negative wires making contact and heating up causing my fire/smoke problems.

Went out to look at the motor today under the cowling...and now I found more problems....and I think its gonna get expensive!

Im a total noob...so im just basing my assumptions off googling. Saw some parts diagrams for my motor and similar motors...and I think this might be the rev limiter? someone in another thread mentioned ECM....and I have no idea what that is, but I hope not cuz that sounds expensive! You can see how its burnt through and the melted gunk that was on it from melting.

then if I press the center here, it feels soft....so I wouldnt be surprised if the whole thing is ruined. No idea what it is or when it happened...assuming last time I was on the water when I had the fire/smoke problem. with that said...I reconnected the battery to start up the motor to see if things were working after the fire incident....and the motor started up find on the muffs....even tho I just had it on for 30 seconds-minute since I just wanted to see if itd start...but it did start, seemingly normally/what Im used to.

Here you can see the wires coming from the burnt part....it has 5 wires total coming out of it. it was only 2 out of the 5 that looked like they were really effected by heat/melting. 1 red, and 1 yellow.

Let me know what you all think im facing. Also...let me know if this is something that I can likely do on my own....or whether I need to start looking for a reliable mechanic.

Thanks. I can take more pics or anything you all think would help more in trouble shooting! I hope I didnt buy a money pit of a boat...thats why I went aluminum, and only a 50hp

2. Member
    that's voltage regulator, repair damaged wires ,do not use deep cycle batt for starting, keep connections tight
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    that's voltage regulator, repair damaged wires ,do not use deep cycle batt for starting, keep connections tight
    you are correct! I ordered the part just now....but is this a plug and play type repair or something i need to take to a mechanic? im not sure how to replace the wires on the other end of the connection...sucks too because all the wires on the other send of the connection are in good shape, except for the one yellow that you can see being burnt up in the pics. I gotta take pics but im wondering if I can get away with cutting the wire and adding new tip/connector?

im using an exide starting battery in the back. no deep cycles...those are up front and only for the TM wired directly. loose connections are what killed me here I think :(

4. Member
    do it , lucky it didn't burn all wiers up on mtr , seen that too,and yes I am correct [regulator]
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Banned
    do it , lucky it didn't burn all wiers up on mtr , seen that too,and yes I am correct [regulator]
    so is it just as simple as unscrewing and replacing it? hoping its not too crazy a job and hopefully I can get fishing here in the next couple weeks. One of the wires on the "motor side" looks like its burnt/melted.....can I just cut, add new connection and heat shrink tubing....or do I need to do a more thorough job?

6. Member
    ^^^^^^ should work just fine

7. Banned
    ^^^^^^ should work just fine
    ordered these in the 22-18, and 16-14 sizes. I think thats the same female connector I should be needing. If It doesnt work figure I can do a butt connection in a worst case.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend sticking with an OEM style bullet connector, and OEM REGULATOR (only).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would recommend sticking with an OEM style bullet connector, and OEM REGULATOR (only).
    you have the bullet connectors for my motor? price? ill order tomorrow so I can get it asap

10. Member
    give um a call

11. Banned
    Changed out the voltage regulator...but I just used the ancor snap plug to replace the burnt wire (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

The wires on the old and new voltage regulator did not exactly match in the order they were in. They did match in connections that they had, which helped show which red/yellow went where. The only ones that were tricky because they both had the connector were the Yellow wires....but for those I noticed that both yellows shared in common their proximity to a different color wire ( i.e. 1 yellow was close to the gray wire, while the other was close to the black wire on the OLD regulator...you can see it in the pics above). The new regulator had a similar layout with one yellow being close to the gray and the other the gray wire.....so I designated those as the ones that I would connect together to keep the same orientation going.

Boat cranks....but it does not start. Is there any way for me to test if the voltage regulator was installed properly? Boat started 2 weeks ago when I tried to start boat and voltage regulator was fried. Battery is reading at 12.45 with cheap harbor freight voltometer

12. Member
    yellows don't matter ,black is grnd, gray is tach, reds will only go one way, check for spark

13. Banned
    yellows don't matter ,black is grnd, gray is tach, reds will only go one way, check for spark
    yes..reds will only go one way is a much better way of saying what I was trying to! lol

tach for rpms does move now when im cranking. checked for spark...but im alone and wont be able to get 2 eyes on it till tomorrow morning. Used this spark plug tester (https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ter/900800_0_0) and had a camera pointed at the tester while I cranked it up. All 3 had spark...but it wasnt blue. I read that it should be blue....but I also read on the reviews that this tester showed a weaker spark for one guy on the autozone page.

So theres spark...but no starting.

Theres one other thing ill mention about it not starting.....if I move it to neutral to start it, but move it nearer to the full forward throttle position while cranking it makes a different cranking noise. Kinda like its cranking but hollower if that makes sense? So it makes the same sound/vibration while cranking...but it sounds a little deeper/muffled....or like its inside a hollow cavity/container. I would often need to move the throttle forward to start....versus it starting in the middle position while in neutral.

I have 3 NGK spark plugs I ordered a few weeks ago since I expected needing to change them after running double oil.....

14. Banned
    SO of course i always change multiple things up while trouble shooting instead of going 1 by 1...

BOATS RUNNING! I was having trouble starting....but I really think its "bad gas" from when I was running double oil.

So instead of checking one things at a time, this is what I did...

Changed spark plugs because they were fouled up and super dirty with oil....guessing from running double oil. ALSO, stuck fuel hose in a 1 gallon can of "clean" gas I just got....pumped primer bulb twice with clean gas too. Then I started it up! Boat also strangely sounds stronger than I remember! Not sure if thats from the spark plugs or from the voltage regulator.

So the good news is the boats running and the bad news is I dont know which particular thing I did was the fix....gas or spark plugs? Plan is to hit the lake on friday....and run all the gas out of the tank, or as much as possible with a day of fishing. Prolly fish hard till noon.....and just run up and down the lake for 3 or 4 hours to run the gas out and then pick fishing back up when it cools down after 4/5. Then when I get back on dry land, run a seafoam hot soaking to clean things out......and then hopefully things are back to normal.

Thanks for the tips Joe!

15. Member
    run QUICK KLEEN AND QUICK CARE for fuel additives

16. Banned
    run QUICK KLEEN AND QUICK CARE for fuel additives
    I always do...i even mixed it into the oil+gas mix thats in there now. dont have access to the right gas, so im sure to use some stuff to keep that gas stabil

17. Member
    that's all ya need unless you let it set up,nothing else

18. Banned
    that's all ya need unless you let it set up,nothing else
    So since you know my problems and basically fixed my boat....one more question! lol

should I replace the oil tank or wait until it gives out? The oil is still injecting. ran the oil down to empty when I went to the lake the other day. So it was definitely working, and i do not think it was the cause for my motor beeping. I also think that because when I did run out of oil the motor beeped....but it was definitely different from the other beep. This beep had intermittent breaks in the beep at first....so it went beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeep or something like that...and the other beep I was hearing was a straight BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP as soon as you turned the key. I also dont think the beeps were the same because I disconnected the 2 oil tank sensor wires you mentioned in the other thread....and the beep did stop and I kept running the motor for about another hour (I still have oil in the gas tank so no real issues).

Im guessing I should just hold off and keep it as a ace up my sleeve since my motors are know for having problems with the oil tank float? or should I just replace it...just in case it was the issue? i really dont think it was since the boat ran fine all day and the oil level just kept dropping throughout the day as expected. let me know....i trust you since youve nailed it on the head so far!

Thanks Joe54! I might have to drive down to you and buy you some beers....with boat in tow of course!!! lol

19. Member
    id replace , might forget one day to mix oil

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I agree- replace the tank/sensor and know it's right.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor