Talon gen 1 clutch replacement

Looks like my clutch assembly went out on my 8ft gen 1 talon with serial # starting with L. Figuring out that’s it’s outside of the 5 year mechanical warranty. A couple of quick questions maybe someone can help me with. 1) Is it something I can repair myself? 2)I’ve came across 2 different part #s for the assembly, 2772232 and 2772231. 2772231 is the part I found in a part schematic, but I can’t find it available for sale anywhere. I’m assuming the 2772232 is the newer style as this was a known issue? Not interested in sending it off, if I can’t repair it I have some ammo with the wife to bye a new 3 stage 8ft or an Ultrex! Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    Got the clutch assembly in today, 27722332 is the updated version. Wish me luck on the job, I’ll let you guys know how it turns out and maybe it’ll help someone out!

3. Member
    I’m having a problem with mine and I’m thinking it may be the clutch. It stops at the first stage almost every time even in deep water. What symptoms did yours have?
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbrell224 View Post
    I’m having a problem with mine and I’m thinking it may be the clutch. It stops at the first stage almost every time even in deep water. What symptoms did yours have?
    Could be the Clutch, Could be the gibs, could be the wrap drum. Only a tare down will tell you.

5. Member
    Replaced the clutch assembly, got it all out back together and same issue. Spike goes down, motor keeps running and no pressure or force is getting to the spike. All the lights light up even if the spike only goes down 3 foot. What are the gibs exactly? I did the clutch with no problems, are the drum and gibs user fixable?