Lithium Pro jump?

I have a 12V lithium Pros 3110 hooked to a stealth charger and a 36 v lithium pro trolling mtr battery. Today, my dad went to pick up my boat and the starting batt is dead. Volt meter reads 4.xx volts. Charger wouldn’t kick on as voltage was too low. Boat has been sitting a month, but batt switch was off and starting batt was full when I last left it. Anyone know if there’s any special technique to jump the starting batt to get the charger to start working again? I was going to jump it with another 12v batt but didn’t know if there were any unique requirements for the lithium’s. Once I get it charging, will need to figure out if the battery has a problem or if I’ve got a current drain some kind of way.

I read here somewhere that you have to reset the battery. Not sure how it done though. Do a search on this thread.

3. Member
    I suggest you contact the lithium manufacturer just to be on the safe side. Expensive battery if a mistake is made.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    disconnect neg terminal. then connect back ofter a min. if that downt work a booster pack will or jumpers from a vehical

5. Member
    Unlike lead-acid based chemistry a severely discharged lithium battery has to be ramped up slowly until it gets back to about 60% of rated voltage. Lithium qualified chargers (should) have this feature built in and some "smart" batteries may also have this protection internally. Jumpering to a charged battery to get it started can do damage so if you need to do this connect the batteries together with a head lamp in series with one of the jumper cables. That will limit the current to a safe level and you can let it sit until the voltage on the lithium battery recovers.

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Taylor,

The marketing promotional materials of the assemblers buying lithium cells and making them 'their" Lithium battery usually suggest their batteries are fully invincible by one of the following:

The batteries are claimed to be able to be routinely 100% discharged

or

The batteries will auto disconnect from a continuous load preventing any possible over discharge or battery damage.

So seems either both these two marketing claims are not correct or either your dead battery is defective.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 05-14-2018 at 12:05 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LithiumProsJoe View Post
    disconnect neg terminal. then connect back ofter a min. if that downt work a booster pack will or jumpers from a vehical
    LithiumProsJoe,
    Are you a Lithium Pros dealer?

Here is the direct quote from the Lithium Pros website....
    Can a dead lithium ion battery be jump started?
    Lithium ion batteries are especially susceptible to cell damage when they are empty. For this reason, jump starting is not recommended.

What are Lithium Pro battery owners supposed to do when they become stranded off shore with a dead Lithium Pro cranking battery carrying only jumper cables or a booster pack to jump start an engine?

Would Lithium Pro refuse to honor the warranty on the cell damaged jumped battery?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 05-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I have a 12V lithium Pros 3110 hooked to a stealth charger and a 36 v lithium pro trolling mtr battery. Today, my dad went to pick up my boat and the starting batt is dead. Volt meter reads 4.xx volts. Charger wouldn’t kick on as voltage was too low. Boat has been sitting a month, but batt switch was off and starting batt was full when I last left it. Anyone know if there’s any special technique to jump the starting batt to get the charger to start working again? I was going to jump it with another 12v batt but didn’t know if there were any unique requirements for the lithium’s. Once I get it charging, will need to figure out if the battery has a problem or if I’ve got a current drain some kind of way.
    Called Lithium Pros. They walked me through a couple options to jump battery, but I couldn’t get it to take a charge. Sent it back them and they turned it around in a couple days. Indicated they had a tweak to the BMS program that affected some batts. Battery tested fine once the BMS update was done. Great Service!

9. Member
    Well, the battery's 'Service' providing necessary tweaks at least seems great.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Well, the battery's 'Service' providing necessary tweaks at least seems great.
    Yes, I’m happy with the service and the performance of the starting and trolling batts.

11. Banned
    when my relion went totally dead i simply had to connect a jumper cable to one of the trolling batteries and touch it to the starting battery to enable charging