Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Debri as big as pencil erasers get by those 2 passages at the shift shaft carrier. I fish a river system and got tired of cleaning and replacing my stats. I installed a mercury plug off kit that plugs those two passages at the shift carrier. My thermostat issues have ended. No loss of water pressure either. Though i run a 200 pro xs and a standard gear case. Luckly i monitor my water pressure and temp very closely with my monitor. Nearly 2 yrs trouble free!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

2. Member
    Can you tell us what exactly you purchased?
    I have 2017 200 pro xs. Luckily I have smart craft. This debris in the thermostats is getting old. I have to clean them every time I'm on the water. Always find small wood particles in the stats. I live on the TN River, wood is always going to be in the river system.

3. Member
    8m0052921. At the time i installed mercury told me it did not void warranty. Though i would call and verify. Its a easy job to perform. Maybe a 45min to 1 hr. I had a friend tell me about the kit. I ordered from sherm. But anyone who handles mercury parts can get it. As stated it fit a standard verado style gear case. Possibly others? All i kno i dnt regret it one bit
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    No not the Drive Shaft carrier.. The Shift Shaft carrier needs removed, as well as the entire water pump, to inspect/clean all the passages.
    i am confused. I did remove the water pump, but what carrier assembly do I need to remove to check the low water intake passages?

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

5. Member
    The shift carrier is the cover that holds the hex(star drive) in on the front of the foot. Star drive sticks up about a inch. When i removed mine i marked the spline and cover with a white paint marker just for my purpose. Once i removed the cover bolts i also placed my thumb on the top of the star drive to keep it from coming out. Then i wiggled the cover plate off. Those 2 passages are in the recessed area torward the rear
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

6. Member
    Well I ran the boat yesterday in the driveway, hooked up to the ear muffs. I was getting 4.9psi on the smartcrafat gauge, but the Ranger analog gauge didn't seems to move. I suppose this is probably a question better suited in the Ranger forum, but when I looked at the back of the gauge to see if I could take the water tube off, I learned its somehow converted to a digital signal. I can trace the water tube from the motor into the boat, boat but can't figure out where it ends. Does anyone know? Boat is a 2012 Ranger Z119.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

7. Member
    Well I took the boat out yesterday to see how it did in the water.

I put in and when I started up everything seemed to be good. Water pressure climbed up to around 5 psi pretty quickly at idle. Temperature climbed to 125° and then hung steady. I was thinking that I had it licked.

So I decided to put it on plane and put it through the paces. Once on plane the pressure rose to about 15psi at 35 mph, but as the boat began the lift and I added more trim It would fall off like it had been doing to between 7-10 psi. It was acting like the motor was too high on the jackplate, but I hadn't adjusted the plate in over a year. I even started wondering if maybe the motor shifted on the plate and somehow gotten higher. As I was trying different things, I would run at about 40 mph and trim it all the way up and that would cause me to lose pressure. That made me think that something is not quite right because at thouse speeds with a torque mater lower I should still be getting good water pressure.

I decided to lower the motor on the plate about 1/2" and see what happened. Once I did the water pressure immediately rose and was riding around 20+ through most of the speed range. I could run full throttle and as much trim needed (even over trimmed for optimal handling) with 15-20 psi.

I am still not sure everything is quite right. I suspect that my low water pickups on the cone might be partially blocked, and when riding with excessive trim the side intakes start to suck air, and the partially blocked low water pick us cannot over come as they should. By the time I learned to check the shift linkage carrier I had already replace my lower unit, but will remove it again and check there to see if there is any blockage.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think you were probably right at the top of the "ragged edge" on mounting height, and were trying things you would not normally do (such as trimming to full trim at 25 or 40 MPH, for instance). See this a lot...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quite possibly, and I agree that I was doing things that were not normal. but something had to change as I had the motor at that height for well over a year, probably 2 and never had a problem running WOT.

Even with the motor were it WAS I could not run 50-60mph, with optimal trim angle before or after cleaning out the thermostats. If that was due to motor height I would have had problems long before now.

And for reference the motor is approximately 3.5+" below pad right now after lowering it.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

10. Member
    Make sure your Hull is clean and smooth in front of the motor, maybe the debri in the water caused some sort of change in the hull, around a thru-hull or transducers. Scratches in the hull, etc.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Member
    Hull looks good. I checked when I was measuring the motor height.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughThumbBG View Post
    Well I took the boat out yesterday to see how it did in the water.

I put in and when I started up everything seemed to be good. Water pressure climbed up to around 5 psi pretty quickly at idle. Temperature climbed to 125° and then hung steady. I was thinking that I had it licked.

So I decided to put it on plane and put it through the paces. Once on plane the pressure rose to about 15psi at 35 mph, but as the boat began the lift and I added more trim It would fall off like it had been doing to between 7-10 psi. It was acting like the motor was too high on the jackplate, but I hadn't adjusted the plate in over a year. I even started wondering if maybe the motor shifted on the plate and somehow gotten higher. As I was trying different things, I would run at about 40 mph and trim it all the way up and that would cause me to lose pressure. That made me think that something is not quite right because at thouse speeds with a torque mater lower I should still be getting good water pressure.

I decided to lower the motor on the plate about 1/2" and see what happened. Once I did the water pressure immediately rose and was riding around 20+ through most of the speed range. I could run full throttle and as much trim needed (even over trimmed for optimal handling) with 15-20 psi.

I am still not sure everything is quite right. I suspect that my low water pickups on the cone might be partially blocked, and when riding with excessive trim the side intakes start to suck air, and the partially blocked low water pick us cannot over come as they should. By the time I learned to check the shift linkage carrier I had already replace my lower unit, but will remove it again and check there to see if there is any blockage.
    If the "side intakes start to suck air", then your motor height is too high.

13. Member
    That is very true, but what I can't wrap my head around is what has changed. I ran the same motor height for over a year and never had an issue, which leads me to believe that the motor height was not the issue.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Has more than 10 lbs been added anywhere in the boat, forward of the REAR DECK SEAT?

Note: This can include gear, rods, A BPS Store, Weight Gain, Trolling Motor, Graphs, virtually ANYTHING that has weight and mounts forward of the PAD.....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    That possible. At least gives me a reason for what I saw, but crazy to think it was that close.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughThumbBG View Post
    That possible. At least gives me a reason for what I saw, but crazy to think it was that close.

This is very unusual. It sounds like your low water pick up is partially clogged and when you lowered it a half an inch, the pressure increased enough with limited pick up. But a curious thought came into mind, did you recently replace batteries with lithium light weight batteries. If you lose 160 pounds from the back of the boat, your motor will ride higher and hence would cause the low water pressure. Just a thought.

17. Member
    Ill repeat..... if the side vents are sucking air you will have water pressure problems.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    This is very unusual. It sounds like your low water pick up is partially clogged and when you lowered it a half an inch, the pressure increased enough with limited pick up. But a curious thought came into mind, did you recently replace batteries with lithium light weight batteries. If you lose 160 pounds from the back of the boat, your motor will ride higher and hence would cause the low water pressure. Just a thought.
    This is kind of what I am suspecting, but haven’t been able pull the lower and inspect the shift carrier yet.

no I haven’t changed batteries or anything else.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Ill repeat..... if the side vents are sucking air you will have water pressure problems.
    I agree, but I don’t think it’s that simple. the only thing I’m certain of is that I have/had water pressure issues.

I think that the side intakes “sucking air” is Not a black and white deal, but it’s more the fact of the water being more aerierated as the engine is raised.

The current height of my engine compared to others with the same setup also leads me to believe that my issue is/was not only due to the engine height.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

20. Member
    This quote made by you says it all.......

"I decided to lower the motor on the plate about 1/2" and see what happened. Once I did the water pressure immediately rose and was riding around 20+ through most of the speed range. I could run full throttle and as much trim needed (even over trimmed for optimal handling) with 15-20 psi"

You lowered the motor a 1/2" and had plenty of water pressure, with FULL trim. This proves that you are sucking air. If it was a blockage problem the pressure would not have increased, when the motor was lowered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast