Sealing boat cover seams

My cover is getting older, but is still a great heavy vinyl cover that doesn’t leak anywhere except the seams. And they only leak when it pours really hard.
    Is there anything that can be applied to the seams to seal the threads and seams? I’ve seen seam dealers and tent sealers, but did not know if they really worked or not.

2. Member
    You could try a tent sealer. Or shoe waterproofer but would only be temporary.

3. Member
    Fabricguard 303 is often suggested by companies that make boat covers
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Fabricguard 303 is often suggested by companies that make boat covers
    ^^^This^^^
    Make sure it's 303 FABRICGUARD and not the regular 303. I put the cover on the boat out in the sun and spray the seams once. Then after 15-20 minutes I spray them again. Once a year I also spray the rest of the cover if boat sits out in the sun a lot. Note: If the seams are stretched out enough that you can see daylight through the seam holes, then you'll need to use a seam sealer paste. The tent sealer (in a stick) has worked well for me. Get it in the outdoor/camping section of the big box stores.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

5. Member
    Not likely to have any long term success with patching or sealing your existing cover. Better to double up. Get a cheap cover and put over your good cover. Makes your good cover last longer and protects your boat.

6. Member
    The cover is only used when going to a tournament or overnight at a tournament. Otherwise it sits in a garage without the cover all week long. No way to use a second cover when towing down the road. Like I said, it doesn’t leak unless it’s a torrential down pour. Just need to try some sealer on the thread seems a little.

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    get a stick of seam sealer and while the cover is on the boat go over the seams ,hopefully this gives you what you need for protection....
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years