Opinions on Rainshadow vs. MHX blanks

for you all that have built both which would you say is a lighter and more sensitive blank?
    looking at a 7" MH fast action.

2. Member
    Without model numbers i would guess the Rainshadow. Call Mudhole, they will give you the weight of their MHX blank then call Batson Enterprise and they will give you their model weight.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    All the RainShadow blanks have their weights listed in the catalog and online at www.rainshadowrodblanks.com

Sensitivity isn't measurable really, it comes down to more personal opinion.
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

I have several custom rods made on rainshadow blanks...I can honestly say that these are my favorite rods due to weight, sensitivity, tip strength, and overall looks.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

5. Member
    I haven't bought any rainshadows regardless of the model, they all are listed around 2.5-3.5oz for casting blanks. Even the eternity blanks are very heavy for the money you're paying. I like to stay around the 2oz range or less especially when trying out new rods.
    99 Ranger 518dvx w 200 merc efi

6. Banned
    I've built on both, I like both. I've found that the Rainshadow Eternity power ratings are a little lighter versus the same power rating on a MHX high mod. The medium heavy Eternity was a lighter power than I expected.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Only 1 casting model of Eternity is above 2.1oz. Now there are some companies that don't list their blanks and casting or spin models but the ones that are spin models are of course considerably lighter than a casting model (which is the same case with RainShadow).

All RainShadow blanks are quite comparable in weight compared to similar / comparable models from other companies - so we're not really any heavier than anyone else. Course if a blank is too light you may have to worry about breakage... there's a point where they can't get any lighter and still have material in there. 2oz. for 7'6" blank is pretty darn light.

Quote Originally Posted by BASS_KHANG View Post
    I haven't bought any rainshadows regardless of the model, they all are listed around 2.5-3.5oz for casting blanks. Even the eternity blanks are very heavy for the money you're paying. I like to stay around the 2oz range or less especially when trying out new rods.
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Unfortunately there's no real industry standard on power, every blank company has their own way of measuring. We tend to fall in line with St. Croix (where our blank designer was the head of products before coming over to Batson) and also with G. Loomis blanks since Gary worked / consulted with us a variety of times (the Batson family has been friends with Gary for many years).

The closest thing would be CCS measurement for a standard but not everyone fully believes in it or uses the same weight when measuring (not all pennies weight the same). And most companies don't publish the CCS data.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    I've built on both, I like both. I've found that the Rainshadow Eternity power ratings are a little lighter versus the same power rating on a MHX high mod. The medium heavy Eternity was a lighter power than I expected.

9. Member
    Thumbs up to Batson Brands. I own a lot of Rainshadow blanks and have built lots of them for others. I use the CCS system and firmly believe in it. My shout out to Batson is that they are very very consistent in their power and action numbers when measured by CCS. I use other brands but i can truthfully say the Batson Brands are so close in CCS, in the same models that it is scarey. What that essentially means to me is that their Quality Control is the best i have seen over any other brand, consistency in the CCS is a huge factor for me and Batson has it.

10. Member
    Getbitoutdoors have much heavier weights on their website which 90% of the consumer orders batson brands from(at least for me 100%). It definitely deterred me from it. But i will have to give it a try someday if they are truely what is listed on your website. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Batson-Brands View Post
    Only 1 casting model of Eternity is above 2.1oz. Now there are some companies that don't list their blanks and casting or spin models but the ones that are spin models are of course considerably lighter than a casting model (which is the same case with RainShadow).

All RainShadow blanks are quite comparable in weight compared to similar / comparable models from other companies - so we're not really any heavier than anyone else. Course if a blank is too light you may have to worry about breakage... there's a point where they can't get any lighter and still have material in there. 2oz. for 7'6" blank is pretty darn light.
    99 Ranger 518dvx w 200 merc efi

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Llooks like they kept the weights from the previous cobalt blue version of the Eternity blanks - even though the part number is correct. Actually all the measurements are of the previous model - so definitely go by our specs on the www.rainshadowrodblanks.com site (we also have blueprints available on the site).

I've sent them a message to update it - it's hard with the large volume of products they carry to keep up with changes.

Quote Originally Posted by BASS_KHANG View Post
    Getbitoutdoors have much heavier weights on their website which 90% of the consumer orders batson brands from(at least for me 100%). It definitely deterred me from it. But i will have to give it a try someday if they are truely what is listed on your website. Thanks

12. Member
    My opinion is that if you base your blank choices simply by the weight of the blank, then you are missing out on what may be the sweetest blank in the Rainshadow line up. The Immortal IMMC72MH. Strong, powerful, and as sensitive as you would ever need.

As far as Rainshadow vs MHX goes ...... Rainshadow, and it's not even close.

13. Member
    I've just finished building 2 new rods on the Rainshadow Immortal (IMMC76MH-TC) blank and I'm impressed! I love the sensitivity of these rods. After fishing with them, I will be building on these blanks again.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)