coleslaw recipe needed

So I was thinking yesterday I haven't had any really good coleslaw lately. I have tried the pre made stuff from Kroger etc and just never cared for it. I'm kinda picky when it comes to the stuff as I prefer a really creamy mix and not the more vinegar based. Might sound crazy but I have always thought KFC had some of the best out there. Though its been years since I have had theirs I just remember it was very creamy and I preferred it to others.

Any recipes you want to pass along ? Also would like a good potato salad recipe as I also like a creamy mix as well.

2. Member
    maybe hard to get those i also need some good ones but great slaw and potato salad is as sacred as a secret rub LOL Most of the time we do a vinegar base but i also like a good creamy slaw and i too like KFC ill get it and make slaw dogs with it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    maybe hard to get those i also need some good ones but great slaw and potato salad is as sacred as a secret rub LOL Most of the time we do a vinegar base but i also like a good creamy slaw and i too like KFC ill get it and make slaw dogs with it.
    Apparently they are sacred.... I figured I would get 10 different options by noon LOL.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Apparently they are sacred.... I figured I would get 10 different options by noon LOL.
    Looks like google is your friend. A lot of recipe's listed. Let us know what is best

1/2 Head of Cabbage Cut Thin
    1/4 to 1/2 Onion Shredded
    2 Carrots Shredded
    1/2 Cup Mayo
    2 Cap Fulls Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp sugar
    Salt/Pepper to Taste
    Sprinkle Paprika on Top

Mix everything up and let sit for at least an hour. Works great for fish tacos or pulled pork sammiches if you like a creamy slaw. I know I do.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabnbass View Post
    2 Carrots Shredded
    1/2 Cup Mayo
    1 tsp sugar
    Salt/Pepper to Taste
    Sprinkle Paprika on Top

Mix everything up and let sit for at least an hour. Works great for fish tacos or pulled pork sammiches if you like a creamy slaw. I know I do.
    Sounds really good!!

7. Member
    2 Carrots Shredded
    1/2 Cup Mayo
    1 tsp sugar
    Salt/Pepper to Taste
    Sprinkle Paprika on Top

Ill give that a try.

Curious about something. Do you use actual Mayo or Miracle Whip ??? I would think Mayo would be preferred but heck if I know.

Ive always used mayo, but you can use whatever floats your boat.

9. Member
    If you like it a little spicy this one is really good.

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw

2pounds cabbage
    4carrots
    1medium onion
    1/2cup mayonnaise
    1/4cup mustard
    2teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    1cup sugar
    1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
    black pepper
    kosher salt

1.Shred the cabbage. Peel and cut the carrots and onion. Mix the cabbage, carrots and onion.
    2. Prepare the dressing by whisking the mayonnaise, mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, 1 tsp black pepper and the cayenne in a medium bowl. Toss the dressing with the cabbage mixture and season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill at least two hours before serving.

**I used two 1 pound bags of Kroger pre-cut cabbage that had carrots already in them. I also used about 1 tsp of cayenne. Depends on the amount of after bite you want.

10. Member
    2 Carrots Shredded
    1/2 Cup Mayo
    1 tsp sugar
    Salt/Pepper to Taste
    Sprinkle Paprika on Top

Just tried this and I will say I like it so far. I did use some extra mayo as a 1/2 cup seemed a little dry to me but that's all individual preference. Or I could have used too much cabbage as I used half of a pre cut slaw bag. Gonna let it set for an hour before I totally judge but its got promise. When rummaging through the fridge I found a small bottle of horseradish sauce. I added a blob of that for the heck of it and it seems to have given it a nice zing. Might give it a try sometime and see what you think.

One thing I have realized that I like about KFC slaw is that its very finely cut. I think its a texture thing which makes me really like their slaw. Next batch gonna try processing a bag down finer and see if that gets it closer.

11. Banned
    If you want the absolutely best slaw recipe for eating with pulled pork barbecue, look on Bing or Google "Dick Howell Slaw" recipe. There's none better.

We are fortunate to have mustard based hot and sour slaws for sale in our grocery stores. We also love it on hot dogs and chili dogs.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    If you want the absolutely best slaw recipe for eating with pulled pork barbecue, look on Bing or Google "Dick Howell Slaw" recipe. There's none better.

We are fortunate to have mustard based hot and sour slaws for sale in our grocery stores. We also love it on hot dogs and chili dogs.
    Looked it up and will give it a whirl.

13. Member
    1 cup mayonnaise, 2 TBS white vinegar, and 2 TBS sugar. Mix together and pour over shredded cabbage. To make slightly sweeter add more sugar, to make slightly more tart add more vinegar. You can adjust the taste to suit yourself. Tastes good, quick, and easy.

14. Member
    My wife grabs an internet recipe that sounds good, but the one thing we have found is that it's best to let it set overnight. If I'm smoking a pork shoulder she'll make the slaw when the shoulder comes out of the brine and before it starts smoking. This allows all the flavors to integrate and works magic on the slaw. An hourworks, but I prefer at least overnight.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Hummmm cant say I have had mustard slaw. Have had a more mustard based potato salad but cant place slaw.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbucketmouth View Post
    My wife grabs an internet recipe that sounds good, but the one thing we have found is that it's best to let it set overnight. If I'm smoking a pork shoulder she'll make the slaw when the shoulder comes out of the brine and before it starts smoking. This allows all the flavors to integrate and works magic on the slaw. An hourworks, but I prefer at least overnight.
    You are spot on with this one. Cabbage takes a while for the wet ingredients to marinate.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

17. Member
    I know this is cheating but for quick slaw I get a bag of asian salad mix and a jar of Maries coleslaw dressing. Very good slaw,

When making large amounts I use cabbage, carrots, a little onion and cilantro. It sounds weird but the cilantro is a good match to the sweet dressing and it adds some color.