2010 Stratos 285XL fuel smell

Looking at a Stratos 285XL in very good condition, only concern is strong gas smell in battery compartment. Is this normal for this boat. Don't smell it with lid closed, but pretty strong with lid open.

2. Member
    Not like that on my 2004 285ProXL. Could be the vent line on the filler neck or bad gasket on the fuel sending unit plate.

If you looked at it in a garage you would often smell fuel.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    Check the fuel tank select valve under the splash well. Your tank lines terminate there and continue to the motor out of the top of the valve. The valve is plastic and old if original and they all fail at some point. Also, that valve is no longer available so if/when it fails you'll have to go to a brass or similar 3-way (BassCat has nice/more expensive one). Check your fuel line terminations at the tank and your gaskets on the fuel sending units too. Lastly, check your tank vent lines beside your fuel fill caps for any clogs. Been there, good luck.

5. Member
    Temp change causes it,plus side keeps out the critters
    Outlaw Bass

6. Banned
    I've got a 2011 186XT; it smells so strong that I always think it must be leaking, but the tank passes pressure testing and I can't find a leak anywhere. "They" say the smell comes through the plastic tank.

7. Member
    My 2008 285xl is the same way, I keep it in the garage and seems to be a little worse the hotter it gets, like said above it perforates through the tank. If the boat sits a few days I can open rod locker and smell it, I usually leave the bilge lid open some and always let it air out a few minutes before I plug in the battery chargers. It's been that way since new.

8. Banned
    I leave the bilge open all the time in the garage, and can still smell it in the rod locker.

9. Member
    MY 2007 IS THE SAME WAY. I READ THAT THE PLASTIC THAT THE TANK IS MADE OUT OF IS POROUS AND THE SMELL COMES FROM THAT. I LEAVE MY ROD LOCKERS AND REAR LID OPEN WHILE NOT IN USE. IM PRETTY SURE THERE IS NOT A FIX.

92 285 cl same smell

Happens to a lot of boats, not just your 285.
    Joe Allan
    Nitro Z7 Mercury Optimax 150hp Lowrance Ghost Simrad NSS Evo 3s
    Proudly Supported by: Gamakatsu/Majorcraft/Fuji/Kershaw/Samurai/Atomic