OPENING WEEKEND IS HERE

It's here - it's finally here. Of course we are going to have a cold front roll through Fri-Sun and then back right to warm weather after. Of course, why wouldn't it do that to us.

Where's everyone headed? I'm deciding if I'm going to stay on a small lake or fight the crowds on a bigger one.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

2. Member
    I saw that, perfect timing, a nice cold front to start things off. Oh well, at least Ill be fishing. Maybe crowds will be smaller. Just gonna stay local near my area.

3. Member
    Pelican lake in Orr on saturday and woman lake on sunday.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

4. Member
    I'm staying home, I don't fish opening weekend anymore. Too much chaos! I'll be out next week though

5. Member
    Fishing tbf tournament in Wabasha...that was supposed to be 3 weeks ago!

Got it made here

Seasons

There is no closed season for fishing in freshwater in Georgia except for the following:

• Trout Seasons: All designated trout waters are now open year round.
    • Flint, Chattahoochee and Spring Creeks: The Flint River and its tributaries from the Georgia Power Co. dams at Albany to the US Hwy 84 bridge; the Chattahoochee River and its tributaries from the Columbia Lock and Dam to the GA Hwy 91 bridge; and Spring Creek and its tributaries downstream to GA Hwy 253 are CLOSED to striped bass fishing and spear fishing from May 1–October 31 each year.
    • Lakes Seminole: All fishing, including spear fishing, for any species in the marked areas around five fish refuges in Lake Seminole is prohibited from May 1–October 31 each year.
    • Coosa River: The season for taking lake sturgeon from the Coosa River and its tributaries is CLOSED. See www.gofishgeorgia.com for more information on this closure and how to identify this fish.
    • Noodling or Grabbling: The season is open March 1–July 15 statewide in freshwater.

Weekend Son & Only Grandson spending weekend @
    Lightning lake park north of Wendell. @ a stop at
    Niemackle lake park on way back home, My camps but never did like Fishing lolo.. If grandson wants to try fishing, He has a fishing rig I gave him a few months back when they came south for vacation, he turned 4 last December.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bass AHolic; 05-07-2018 at 11:40 PM.

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Will fish from my dock as the water is open, but I can still see ice on the main lake.

Small, local south metro lake for me. Water is warming fast on the shallower lakes. Fished for some cheddar bass Sunday up east of Rush City and saw surface temps up to 62 in the afternoon! AM temp was 57. Fishing was still very slow. I think they are still stunned from the long, brutal winter.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Small, local south metro lake for me. Water is warming fast on the shallower lakes. Fished for some cheddar bass Sunday up east of Rush City and saw surface temps up to 62 in the afternoon! AM temp was 57. Fishing was still very slow. I think they are still stunned from the long, brutal winter.
    Dang I was also out on Sunday not too far from you and the water temp was 43.... Fishing was definitely slow.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snodogg View Post
    Fishing tbf tournament in Wabasha...that was supposed to be 3 weeks ago!
    Good luck. The fish just got slapped 5 ways to sunday after that Judes tournament down there haha. But weather is shaping up

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer8043 View Post
    Dang I was also out on Sunday not too far from you and the water temp was 43.... Fishing was definitely slow.
    Lakes we were on are fed by a fairly decent-sized river so that probably accounted for the warmer temps more than anything. Catching was disappointing but it was a beautiful day to be on the lake other than the NW WI gnats which were already hatching. Gotta love this part of the country. Ice off the lakes and the bugs are hatching a week later.

12. Lucas M
    I'll most likely be hitting a west metro lake. 1 of the 50 out here. Try to find one with smaller crowds and get out and find some fish! Then start hitting the bigger lakes once the crowds settle. It's been a long time coming. Have found water in the low 60s late last week, so it should be interesting to see how the fish respond after a long winter and a pretty quick warm up! Good luck everyone! WE MADE IT!

13. Moderator
    I plan on fishing some lakes around the Faribault area.

Think any fish will be on beds yet?

14. Member
    They may be getting close but this cold front and rain may hold them off. When we hosted our kids crappie tourney this weekend on prior it was 57 degrees on the clear side and 58 on the dirty side, i would say more likely the weekend between catch and release and full opener they will be starting to spawn around here, faribault maybe a little sooner though since those lakes will warm up quicker.

15. Member
    Forecast has improved a bit for Saturday now, no rain and low to mid 60s for highs. Beats the 48 and rain they were forecasting a few days ago.

It's not often the forecast improves as you get closer. Usually heads the other direction.

17. Member
    It's all over the map. Some fish on the river are already done spawning, some fish on small lakes getting close, some other lakes will be a couple weeks yet. With the shock from how cold to how warm it went so fast, I have to imagine we will have waves of spawning fish this year. Some will be ready to go right away, and the others will wait to let things stabilize. May 28th is the next full moon