Thread: Rod repair???

Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Rod repair???

Hopefully this is the right place to ask.....

Have BPS Crankin Stick rod...on the reel seat piece where you tighten down to hold the reel , the plastic screw/nut (what ever it called)is no longer wanting to hold, as you tighten down it strips....what is a fix for this or what have others done to keep from slipping....

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    Might try some of that Teflon tape one uses on pipe threads. Try one or two wraps, being careful to apply it clockwise, may need to apply more...BF

Yup

4. Banned
    I'm trying to understand how it got stripped. Did you use pliers to tighten it down to the reel seat tightening it a little too much?

5. Member
    Tighten it down as much as possible, then wrap the nut and threads with electrical tape, finish with a wire tie, to keep the tape tight.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    I'm trying to understand how it got stripped. Did you use pliers to tighten it down to the reel seat tightening it a little too much?
    Never used pliers to tighten, just hand tight like i do my other rods.....

I'll try suggestions as mentioned above....Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Tighten it down as much as possible, then wrap the nut and threads with electrical tape, finish with a wire tie, to keep the tape tight.
    Electrical tape may leave a sticky mess. I would suggest 3M teleflex rubber tape. It will only stick to itself. Cut a small section and stretch it tight as you wrap it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Electrical tape may leave a sticky mess. I would suggest 3M teleflex rubber tape. It will only stick to itself. Cut a small section and stretch it tight as you wrap it.
    Only when you cut it off.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, i tried the teflon tape and even electrical tape on the threads and that didnt help when tighting down, it would pop loose as soon as it got tight.....its almost like the plastic threads wore down throuh out the few years when the problem started occuring.....i think the only thing that may work would be putting reel on, placing epoxy on threads and then snug it down and let dry.....

10. Member
    I would use Gorrila glue original with your idea the G original will expand some and fill all the voids, as it expands out just wipe it down with alcohol it will set up in a couple hours and it will be ready to use after 24 hours, i think it will work and worse case scenario if down the road you want to fix it you can just tear it down and replace with all new parts, it is an easy job, lots of you tube vids on how to do it.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well i got the Gorrila glue but its not the expanding one....only i hope it dont mess up the reel piece thats being screwed down....i could put some tape or something over it and the glue on the threads.....i'll give that a try and see how it works....if not then i'll convert it into a stick to retrieve crankbaits that are stuck.....

12. Member
    Maybe a tie wrap would keep the 'nut' from expanding, or a small 'radiator style' clamp,* being sure to have the securing device in an out of the way position. I had a similar problem and a medium size (wider and thicker) tie wrap fixed mine. grab the wrap with a pair of pliers to tighten...BF * or bailing wire?

13. Member
    What about trying a black zip-tie on the outside of the nut. Not pretty, but I bet you could tighten it to get enough tension out of it to hold. I mean...If it's your own and you don't care about looks.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well, i ended up buying another rod to replace it....i think i'll cut the end off and use this as a "plug" rod to retrieve crankbaits and such.......thanks for everyones help....