braid to flour on bait casting rod?

does anyone use braid with fluorocarbon leader on bait casting rod? if so what is your leader length? does the knot go through the guides ok? anyone use a small swivel to connect the braid to the leader? thanks for the info.

randy

2. Member
    I have in a few instances, I only use a swivel on spinning gear for DS. Knot goes thru regular guides ok, haven't tried with micro's. I've only used leaders around 3 to 4 feet but am going to try some longer ones, long enough to get the knots into the reel.

3. Member
    I tend to shy away from flour. I stick with cornmeal.

4. Member
    I've fished braid with a fluorocarbon leader on a baitcaster a good bit. Usually about a 3-5 ft leader. Never had a problem with the knot going through the guides.

I use the uni-to-uni shown here:

http://www.spiderwire.com/SpiderWire-knot-tying.html

5. Member
    Braid to flouro leader works just fine, best knot is the Alberto

6. Member
    thanks guys

I've done it a good bit. I regularly do it on my flipping and pitching setup. 50 lb braid to a 16-25 lb leader, just have to keep it short so that it doesn't get into the rod tip when you position the bait to pitch. Even the thinnest knot will mess with accuracy on a pitch or flip. No issues on a standard cast.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    What applications are you guys using the leader on and why?

Anyone having success with any knots in particular with the small micro guides...I find this to be the biggest issue I have. Those micro guides are so small passing a knot with ease can be tricky.

10. Member
    FG knot is my favorite for this, casts the best imo because it is the thinnest and is super strong if tied correctly. Pita to tie.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    I don’t have a issue using a Albright knot. I actually use long leaders. It’s not uncommon for the knot to be in the reel. Last thing you want is the knot to be between your guides when using micros.
    Nitro z21

12. Member
    I use braid to mono on my topwater rods, that rod has 5's for runners so small but not micro, goes through the guides fine. Leader length is usually like 18". Alberto knot, I do 10 wraps up and 10 wraps back. Every once in a while I do braid to flouro on a pitching rod but usually straight flouro.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I don’t have a issue using a Albright knot. I actually use long leaders. It’s not uncommon for the knot to be in the reel. Last thing you want is the knot to be between your guides when using micros.
    This is really good advice. It seems counterintuitive, but I think it works because the line and therefore the knot is able to build up more momentum from a cast when on a longer leader. That helps it just fly through the guides.

I've personally found the FG to be a little better for smaller guides and casting setups just due to the fact that it's thinner. However, as I've expressed before, I think the Albright or Alberto is often a better choice due to the fact that it's much less likely that you'll tie it with a flaw that doesn't reveal itself right away. An improperly tied FG can seem good at first and it's not until after you cast it a few dozen times that it works its way loose and let's go. An Albright or Alberto will usually break when you yank on it after tying it if you messed it up somewhere.

If you've taken to reading the books I often end up writing on this forum, you know I've been waffling back and forth on what knot I'm going to use going forward for the above reasons. After a lot of experimenting, I'm starting to think an Albright or Alberto is the best option for lighter line (read: spinning rod) techniques. With lighter line, the slightly increased knot thickness vs the FG is less important, it's much easier to cinch down the "A" knot wraps properly, and an FG becomes more difficult to tie due to it wanting to twist up on itself or the wraps wanting to overlap when you're laying them down. With heavier line, the thinner diameter of the FG becomes more apparent, it becomes easier to tie without mistakes (i.e. the wraps lay down next to each other much more nicely), and I personally think the coils in an Alberto or Albright start wanting to slide out of place when you go to cinch the knot down unless you are extremely careful.

I'm sure everyone else's mileage will vary and that these observations are probably entirely related to the way I tie these knots. I'm also well aware that it sucks to have to think about learning two different knots especially if you're just starting into this braid-to-leader thing. Just offering my thoughts on the matter for what they're worth.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 05-24-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34