Bass Coment on Asian Carp

I just read this in the Lounge,,,,,,,RT (While watching Bassmaster Live (Saturday on KY Lake), they interviewed the BASS conservation director. He suggested we all write our representative in Congress and ask for Federal Funds and a game plan going forward to combat the Asian carp. Millions were approved for the Great Lakes, but none for the river systems effected. My starting point is as follows, develop a petition and get every person that I come in contact with that fishes to sign it and then take it to my local representatives office. We have to start somewhere and I ask all of you that live in the Tennessee River watershed area to do the same.)

2. Member
    There’s a way to do an electronic petition where people could sign it by clicking a button. Can’t remember exactly where to find it but if you could get that going around bbc and other places you would get a lot of signatures.

3. Member
    [QUOTE=Jstokes1987;9337310]There’s a way to do an electronic petition where people could sign it by clicking a button. Can’t remember exactly where to find it but if you could get that going around bbc and other places you would get a lot of signatures.

That’s a great idea. Be very easy to get support we need that way!

4. Member
    I agree with the petition idea completely but don't forget it is election season hold their feet to the fire, town hall meeting , meet and greets no time like the present. The politicians have know for years of the problem and have turn a blind eye to it now is our time.

5. Banned
    Best place to start is with KDFWR and see who they are working with to try and get a subsidy in place to get the price per lb up on Asian carp.

The price per lb, and the distance to the local buyer/market are the two biggest hurdles for the commercial fishermen. KDFWR is trying to put a program together right now to accept fishermen's catch at the lakes, ice it, and haul it to the processor. As it is right now it's very difficult on warm days to get from the lake to the processor before the fish gets too warm so the fishermen fish the river closer to the processors instead of the lakes.

Wade White, Lyon County Judge Executive, wants to bring the processing ship from Hickman up to Kentucky/Barkley Lake, but hasn't been successful with his efforts. Wade White has been very vocal on the subject and involved for quite some time, he's a good example of local leadership doing what he can. Hopefully the leadership in Marshall County will step up before too long, but I'm not holding my breath, especially if Willie Coursey gets elected to Co Judge Executive.

The Asian carp processing ship:

http://www.riverinefi.com/

6. Member
    Most of the state and federal legislators have Facebook and Twitter accounts. To start we could all send weekly messages about the situation of the Asian carp in our area. Also a Facebook group could be started to raise awareness of the situation. This would pool more of our resources especially since a large portion of fisherman who take advantage of the Tennessee and Cumberland river systems aren’t members of bbc.

7. Member

8. Banned
    Adam Martin is the fisheries biologist for the western part of the state. He gladly accepts phone calls and goes over the top to accommodate anyone with any request.

Adam.Martin@ky.gov
    270-753-3886

9. Member
    Cash For Carp. $1 for each carp brought. Just grind it up and turn it into cat food. Done!

I would be out there every day seining the crap out of em.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEANHAWG8806 View Post
    Cash For Carp. $1 for each carp brought. Just grind it up and turn it into cat food. Done!

I would be out there every day seining the crap out of em.
    My bet is 1000 people there seining every day wouldn't come close to controlling them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

12. Member
    The science is already there to change the DNA of Asian carp so they only males. It would take a few years but would solve the problem.

13. Member
    X
    Last edited by JHenry; 05-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.

14. Member

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smbass1 View Post
    The science is already there to change the DNA of Asian carp so they only males. It would take a few years but would solve the problem.
    Well that's a no-brainer if it's possible on a large scale.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    Well that's a no-brainer if it's possible on a large scale.
    First I had heard of this was yesterday from Smbass1 but if you google "daughterless carp" you'll find quite a bit of info. I'm no scientist but seems like a much better long term solution than electric barriers, commercial harvesting, dynamite, etc.

17. Member
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughterless_Carp_Project

Sounds like we need to be in touch with the good scientists at Auburn University.

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughterless_Carp_Project

Sounds like we need to be in touch with the good scientists at Auburn University.
    A lot of old references. Should be viable by now as some of those articles are 15 years old.
    nothing else matters.​

It seems like that would take a few hundred years. It won't change the genes of carp already living, or offspring produced by a pair of carp already living. And I thought they claim they don't reproduce well anyway without a lot of current.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    It seems like that would take a few hundred years. It won't change the genes of carp already living, or offspring produced by a pair of carp already living. And I thought they claim they don't reproduce well anyway without a lot of current.
    Math will fool you. Even a few carp producing only males will devastate the population very quickly.
    nothing else matters.​