‘03 Ficht 225 - strike 2 on leaving me stranded...

Started fine and made five start/stops of less than 1 mile each before it gave me the dreaded: check engine, hot and no oil lights. Same behavior as last time. I know it has oil - added a gallon after first issue two weeks ago. Thought the first time was do to low/no oil but now doubtful. After trolling another 1.5 miles back (tried to start it several times) to ramp and manually cracking it up with strap, tried again and it would start once, then not again. Drove home and about 2 hours later in the driveway, it would start two or three times over a 15 minutes of repeated attempts.

Last time after 24 hours of sitting, it would start every time after over a dozen attempt. As a shadtree auto mechanic, seems to confirm that something is getting hot. Understand that the EMM is water cooled and just because you have a strong pee string, it doesn’t confirm circulation thru the EMM. I watched a video where a guy T’d The supply and drain lines to ensure the EMM is supplied with water. I’ll retest tomorrow evening to see if it will start again with issue.

Based on my research, slcoukd be VRO failure but I suspect the EMM is getting hot. Contemplating replumbing the canister after watching a YouTube of a guy with similar issue - seems relatively harmless. Probably going to wait for a service tech to diagnose it as this before attempting any DIY or paying them. Trying to avoid the apparent $600-800 EMM repair.

Any clues or opinions? Thanks...

The Ficht motors did have issue with the EMM getting hot because the water lines easily got clogged( sharp bend in the line, etc. That said I don't think Ficht motors were made in 2003, I think they stopped in 2002. A 2003 should be a BRP motor.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

02 BRP took over. It was still the FICHT Ram. I have an 03 no overheat issues.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    I have an 04 225 and no over heating issues.

The only problem I have had is with the fuel pump fuse under the cover. Are you hearing the fuel pump turn on? When I had my problem I believe I had the alarms go off but I am not sure. It was very random weather I could get the motor to start. It was the fuse had a crack in it so if it moved it would either start or not. It drove me nuts four 3 weeks. Even testing the fuse with a meter it was fine unless you flexed it just right.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can rest easy on a VRO failure the DFI motors don't have them. I would re-plumb the VST, and clean the exhaust pressure sensor. It does sound like something is getting hot and cutting out. You are going to need a tech to connect and see what the codes are or you are simply guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    Started fine and made five start/stops of less than 1 mile each before it gave me the dreaded: check engine, hot and no oil lights. Same behavior as last time. .
    Hate to say it but your motor has EMM internal problems, well known ones. Those 3 lights coming on confirms it, even though they may be intermittent, the EMM needs repair. There are several companies that specialize in fixing them. Do a SEARCH on this site as you problem has been discussed here many times.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Member
    Thanks all for the info. When it’s going to start, I hear a humming in the motor and presume it’s the fuel pump; otherwise, it’s silent. Being that it has failed to start twice under identical situations, I’m still holding out that there is a water obstruction. Will get in scanned and then go from there. Thanks again...

A cooling water obstruction causing an overheated condition on your EMM gives a CHECK ENGINE warning only and the motor suddenly slows down to 2500 rpm until the EMM internal temp gets below 175°F
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !