Higher Performance Brake Pad

My 2007 Triton 186 sits on a single axle Marine Master Trailer.

While changing the hub oil today, I noticed the brake pads had very little wear, they've never been changed. I took the Trailer for a short pull down a fairly substantial hill and a short sudden stop in my driveway, I then checked rotor temps using a IR temp gun, Rotor temps was within about 15* of each other. I then unhooked my Trailer plug and attempted to back boat up, wheels locked as they should.

According to Marine Master Website, my trailer uses the 91 Dodge Daytona pads. Does anyone have any experience with a "soft" pad that may increase stopping power, I'm not concerned with pad life.

Any Thoughts?
    Last edited by rollcenter; 05-06-2018 at 08:08 PM.

The brake pads on my 1991 Ranger Trailer last for the 10 years I had it without needing to be replaced. The pads on my 2001 Ranger Trailer lasted 14 years I had it without being replaced. And, both rigs stopped just fine all those years. As with most trailer issues, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Your brakes are working, I would leave them alone.

I bought my 2006 Triton used and I believe the brake pads are original as the previous owner lived close to a ramp. My pads show very little wear, I only tow 12 to 13 miles to the ramps I use.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    2007 Does NOT take the Dodge Daytona pad. You will need the 1996- 2000 KIA Sephia front brake pad. Sounds like they are doing fine and you are a good driver. I'd leave them alone until you need pads.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DABS View Post
    2007 Does NOT take the Dodge Daytona pad. You will need the 1996- 2000 KIA Sephia front brake pad. Sounds like they are doing fine and you are a good driver. I'd leave them alone until you need pads.

Not mine, this is the Brake setup that came on my Marine Master Trailer, its the Dodge Daytona Pad.

http://www.marinemastertrailers.com/...bdiscmaint.pdf

You have DB42 hubs/calipers?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    You have DB42 hubs/calipers?
    Yes, just as shown in above link I provided. Not sure which one is better for my application, but mine certainly has the DB-42 setup.

I thought the DB42's were phased out for the DB35's. I think that's why DABS thinks you should have DB35 hubs/calipers. Is your trailer a 2007? My 2006 trailer came with DB35 hubs/calipers.

I have only had the DB35's and they are easy to work on. Not sure which one is better.

Are you having trouble stopping while pulling the boat? I’d guess not so why mess with something that is working?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Are you having trouble stopping while pulling the boat? I’d guess not so why mess with something that is working?

No trouble stopping currently, but why not improve the stopping power if it can be done without breaking the bank?

I have dirt raced my entire life, its in a racers blood to always tweak setup to gain better performance!!

I have purchased a set of performance Brake pads to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by rollcenter View Post
    No trouble stopping currently, but why not improve the stopping power if it can be done without breaking the bank?

I have dirt raced my entire life, its in a racers blood to always tweak setup to gain better performance!!

I have purchased a set of performance Brake pads to try out.
    Because the improvement might all just be in your imagination. You really have no information that the brake system on you boat could utilize a “better” brake pad. You really don’t even know if there is a better brake pad than what you have.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Because the improvement might all just be in your imagination. You really have no information that the brake system on you boat could utilize a “better” brake pad. You really don’t even know if there is a better brake pad than what you have.
    Most passenger Brake pads are built to be quiet with little dust, give good stopping power, and have a fairly substantial life span. I wanted a pad to solely increase stopping power, as I said in original post, I am not concerned with Pad life.

Maybe you can't distinguish if an improvement is just your imagination or not, but the OVERWHELMING majority of users on BBC can make the determination if a modification of this type was an improvement over stock.

Putting Drilled and slotted Rotors and higher performance Pads on my pulling rig, a 2014 Chevy 1500 4 door, Made an unbelievable difference in stopping power here in the Appalachian Mountains empty and loaded.

While I don't know what type of pads are currently on my trailer, I WILL know from this point on that it will have EBC Yellowstuff pads.

Will the EBC pads help, I don't know now, but I will this evening!

Quote Originally Posted by rollcenter View Post
    Most passenger Brake pads are built to be quiet with little dust, give good stopping power, and have a fairly substantial life span. I wanted a pad to solely increase stopping power, as I said in original post, I am not concerned with Pad life.

Maybe you can't distinguish if an improvement is just your imagination or not, but the OVERWHELMING majority of users on BBC can make the determination if a modification of this type was an improvement over stock.

Putting Drilled and slotted Rotors and higher performance Pads on my pulling rig, a 2014 Chevy 1500 4 door, Made an unbelievable difference in stopping power here in the Appalachian Mountains empty and loaded.

While I don't know what type of pads are currently on my trailer, I WILL know from this point on that it will have EBC Yellowstuff pads.

Will the EBC pads help, I don't know now, but I will this evening!
    Big difference between upgrading brakes on your truck and upgrading them on your boat trailer. I also noticed an improvement when I put better brakes on my truck as well. You are, or course, assuming that the pads are the limiting factor. If the brake system is not putting substantial force on the pads better pads might not make a difference. And for what it's worth, I pull the same boat without trailer brakes and don't feel the need for them at all. Especially since I just went to a 2018 Sierra. I brake upgrade would probably be more noticeable on a bigger, heavier trailer.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow