Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fortrex....Not so tough after all?

Had a windy blast off Saturday morning and this happened from the waves. It will barely even open and close now. Its pretty well shot. Hopefully I can get it replaced through the warranty because I didn't do anything wrong to it or drive in a way different than anyone else would during a tournament. I was actually only going like 30. Pretty disappointed in my dealer as well because I took it to them since it came with my boat but they just told me to call minn kota myself to deal with it. I plan on calling tomorrow we will see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N
    Dual Power Pole 8' Blades

2. Banned
    Hard to see from the pics. What happened and was it just from bouncing on the waves?

Were you using the bouce buster? I’m betting not. It is why you should have one.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Theres a comparison of what it's supposed to look like vs what it looks like now. There is some sort of roller you can see in the second picture on my first post that is supposed to roll into some slots, which I believe hold it in the correct position, but its hard for me to say since I never looked at it before it broke. Thats where the metal broke away which you can also see in that picture. The only reason I can think of for it breaking is because of bouncing on the waves. It worked normal for about half the day and then I went to open it again and it got stuck and wouldn't open. I'm thinking the waves cracked the metal where it broke and then it finally fell apart after a few deployments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Were you using the bouce buster? I’m betting not. It is why you should have one.
    Yeah I now understand why people buy those. But if they break like that from a few waves they should come standard with the TM
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

6. Banned
    From looking at your second post with picture. A bounce buster would have prevented that for sure.
    I am surprised your Fortrex did not come with a bounce buster. My Fortrex came with one.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 05-07-2018 at 06:55 AM.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeBassin View Post
    Yeah I now understand why people buy those. But if they break like that from a few waves they should come standard with the TM
    My Fortrex came with a bounce buster but in looking at the Fortrex on the MK website, it appears it's not there anymore. Now you have to buy something called a "stabilizer kit". That sucks.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I believe how it goes is the 112 comes with one, but the 80 doesn't. Mine didn't at least!
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

9. Banned
    If a bounce buster is required, it should be included with the purchase or considered a "required accessory". All I've ever had were electric steer motors. Had a Ram TM stabilizer on the last boat and don't use any type of stabilizer on the Lund

10. Banned
    Keep us updated on the customer service experience

I agree, these trolling motors should come with the stabilizer kit. My first trip out with my brand new boat, it was a little choppy and Mine bounced off the gunnel and put a horrible 1/4” dent in it. Was not happy at all. I have to say that when I order my next boat, it will not leave the dealer without one installed.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

12. Member
    My 80lb fortrex can with the stabilizer installed. Does having motor set to run real shallow cause extra stress?
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

13. Member
    Mine didn't come with one and I too have a nice dent. But have seen a few of these get wrecked and broken. The motor end needs to be secure in rough weather. 90% of the time it's all good but when you are in the shitty ten percent you need to have your game plan.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

So I guess I have to take it to my nearest minn kota service center, which is an hour and a half away, but they may not take me because I didn't buy it directly from them, if thats the case, its more like a three hour drive down to the next one in southern maine. From there they will access the damage and see what they can do. Looks like I will be missing my next tournament
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

15. Banned
    My 80lb Fortrex didn’t come with one either. Bought it just over a year ago. So far I haven’t had any issues and didn’t think I needed one....until reading this post. Just ordered one tho to be on the safe side. Hope the service center takes good care of you, keep us posted.

16. Banned
    Self correcting problem really. Can't blame the mount, do a little research and you will fine out the g-forces at the front of the boat are close to what a fighter jet puts out when that bow slams down on a wave. $30 arm to support that area would have kept that mount together. Fix the mount and add the support arm, go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Self correcting problem really. Can't blame the mount, do a little research and you will fine out the g-forces at the front of the boat are close to what a fighter jet puts out when that bow slams down on a wave. $30 arm to support that area would have kept that mount together. Fix the mount and add the support arm, go fishing.
    Like i've said, if those support bars are so necessary, one should've come standard with the trolling motor. I agree, one would've stopped this from happening. If I knew I needed one I would've got one, and I will for the future. Not everyone knows as much about this stuff as other people do.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N

18. Member
    My 80lb Fortrex came with a stabilizer.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    My 80lb Fortrex came with a stabilizer.
    same here. I bought mine online, off a retail store, and was surprised to see it came with one. Glad it did!

20. Member
    I think on a tin boat you should always use one. I have seen were the welds on the bow where the TM mount will crack under enough stress. I use a troll tamer in mine to keep it locked down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast