Steve Goncalves

repairing soft floor on a Stratos 97 201PE

I repaired my floor 4 years ago and didn't do it right. The wood is not rotting but i didn't brace it very well on one side and can feel it flexing. I want to fix it right. On the passenger side there is a beam that the wood lays on and that side is not problem with flexing. the drivers side ( right) their was no beam under the floor so i just put a couple 1x2 pieces and used drywall screws to secure. Then i layed the new floor and screwed it into the 1x2 pieces. I'm going to remove the floor and brace it right. How should i do this? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gonzz; 05-06-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    2000 Ranger 522SVX W/ 2000 Mercury 250XB
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Cut cross braces ("bulkheads") that can fit between the stringers and are flush with the tops of the stringers (to support the floor patch), encapsulate them with fiberglass cloth and resin, and then glass them to each stringer. Make sure to keep them off the bottom of the hull, or notch them for water drainage.

Coat the new floor patch plywood with fiberglass cloth and resin. Then lay it on the bulkheads with a bedding of thickened resin (use stainless or brass screws only if you need to, then remove them when resin is dry - fill in the holes with thickened resin).
    Glass the plywood with cloth and resin to tie it into existing solid floor.

This man knows ^^^
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Steve Goncalves
    How much would a shop charge for this repair? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Cut cross braces ("bulkheads") that can fit between the stringers and are flush with the tops of the stringers (to support the floor patch), encapsulate them with fiberglass cloth and resin, and then glass them to each stringer. Make sure to keep them off the bottom of the hull, or notch them for water drainage.

Coat the new floor patch plywood with fiberglass cloth and resin. Then lay it on the bulkheads with a bedding of thickened resin (use stainless or brass screws only if you need to, then remove them when resin is dry - fill in the holes with thickened resin).
    Glass the plywood with cloth and resin to tie it into existing solid floor.
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Hi Gonzz, I replaced the floor in my 94 201 Pro Xl a couple years ago, and it is rock solid. I did as Casting Call suggested above. Below are some pictures of the repair. I used 2x4's which I shaped on my belt sander to match the curve of the stringer at the top. This allowed a nice tight fit. I coated the 2x4's with cloth and resin, then glassed them to the stringers. Originally, Stratos used 2x2's which were not wrapped in cloth, and placed them only at the very front and back of the floor. I added several more, so this is much stronger than originally designed.

6. Steve Goncalves
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Hi Gonzz, I replaced the floor in my 94 201 Pro Xl a couple years ago, and it is rock solid. I did as Casting Call suggested above. Below are some pictures of the repair. I used 2x4's which I shaped on my belt sander to match the curve of the stringer at the top. This allowed a nice tight fit. I coated the 2x4's with cloth and resin, then glassed them to the stringers. Originally, Stratos used 2x2's which were not wrapped in cloth, and placed them only at the very front and back of the floor. I added several more, so this is much stronger than originally designed.

U.S. Air Force Retired

7. Steve Goncalves
    Thanks for the info.
    U.S. Air Force Retired