Need set up help BFT 150 on 1996 Bass Cat Eyra?

I just installed a BFT 150 on a 1996 Bass Cat Eyra. I have a tempest 23 picth that seems to be to much prop. Very light it will get out of the hole but loaded at all it will not. The prop is not plugged currently trying to find some plugs . Coming up the rpm stops at about 3400 and when i get up 5400 and 53 mpr seems to be it. i only have about 3 hours on it so it should gain some. Prop to pad is about 3 1/2. Any help would be welcome . Arthur

2. Member

USA

How long and how much does it weigh?

3. Member
    The boat is 18 ft and about 1500 lbs

4. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=798669&page=2

post 26 was on a tempest 23 and post 13 is one a yamaha v max 23 prop. You top out better than i did.

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I ran a 24 on my BF150 on a X19.

Try plugging the holes and making sure your batteries are as far forward as you can get them.

I would start raising the engine in 1/4 inch at a time.

Rember to follow you break in directions.

6. Member
    I am getting closer i raised the engine 3/4 and now have to much wheel torque going to work down tomorrow.The thing that has made a big difference was adding a hydro foil. I got up in 16 sec with 23 trophy plus 6000 top end for about 55 mph and 20 sec with 23 tempest with a top end of 5600 and 52 mph. tried a trophy 24 and every thing got worse live wells empty 3/4 fuel. Still under 5 hours so having to go slow working at it. The trophy plus has a small bore and acts like it is getting to much vent rpm went to 4800 on hole shot. Any more help would be appreciated. Arthur

7. Member
    acf cat those are some pretty good improvement already. How does the trophy plus handle on your hull compare to the tempest. When i try the tempest on my ranger r82. My boat didn't handle well at all on the tempest. I'm currently running a solas 4 blade 19p and only getting 47mph. After this tournament season, i'll be doing some more prop testing on my boat to see if i can get into the mid 50 as well.

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have never had any luck with a trophy, seems to like the bigger diameter props.

9. Member
    Made some more gains by moving the batteries forward and to the center. Will top off fuel and fill live wells and try again. The 23 trophy plus seems to be about right and the boat handles well and top end rpm is 6050 and 55 mph. But it still needs a little improvement on hole shot. I order a Baileys foil today hopefully that will be what it needs. I would like to try 23 large hub 4 blade. So far the Fury is only available in 24. I will try my 23 tempest again before to long.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Did you try a tempest plus?

Power Tech OFX and a Fury ran the best on my little 150, both 24

Quote Originally Posted by acf cat View Post
    Made some more gains by moving the batteries forward and to the center. Will top off fuel and fill live wells and try again. The 23 trophy plus seems to be about right and the boat handles well and top end rpm is 6050 and 55 mph. But it still needs a little improvement on hole shot. I order a Baileys foil today hopefully that will be what it needs. I would like to try 23 large hub 4 blade. So far the Fury is only available in 24. I will try my 23 tempest again before to long.
    nothing will help the hole shot like the SHO will!!!

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Try a a G2, they have great low end torque!!! Also comes with a 10 year warranty!!

13. Member
    No to the tempest plus. Every thing on the top end is about right rpm 5800 / 6000 and 52- 54 depending on load. Hole shot is weight driven. Tournament load 3/4 fuel empty live wells no partner hole shot is ok. Fill live well and add partner have to use every trick to get up. I do not think it a prop issue the boat rides and handle good. Trimmed for speed no roister tail and bow lift is good and will hold it well as you back off rpm. I am starting to wonder if the blast system is working. Hopefully will get some answer from Tohatsu tomorrow. Also was trying to figure out any changes from the Mercury and come up with Tohatsu trim range of -4 thru 16 and Mercury trim range is -6 thru 14. I believe this could be part of the problem not trimming as far under the boat would impact stern lift. Any thoughts would be helpful. Arthur

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    What VPS plugs are you using?

15. Member
    I had them removed and now they are plugged. I did not notice any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by acf cat View Post
    The Fury and Fury 4 would be interesting to try, that's what Bass Cat recommends. The 24 fury might be perfect, because of it's design, it will probably have a better hole shot than the trophy. I'd be very curious about the Fury 4. And I wouldn't rule out a Laser 2 on that setup. Where is your prop shaft height compared to the running surface?

One issue with the 150 Honda is the gear ratio, the 2.14 ratio forces you to use a higher pitch prop, but on a boat like that it hurts your hole shot.