Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator

Snakehead in swift creek lake

Some idiot thought transporting snakeheads to swift creek lake (Lakeview reservoir) in Colonial Heights was a good idea..I knew it was only a matter of time until they showed up on the James I just was hoping fishermen wouldn't speed up the process.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

2. Member
    My wife said she saw something about it yesterday. Hope they got it and any remaining ones...

3. Banned
    the James and Apomattox are screwed now. no turning back

4. Member
    They said the same thing about the Potomac, but the bass fishing is still strong there several years later. If I recall correctly even DGIF stated that they weren't having the negative impact everyone expected in the beginning.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

5. Banned
    Are they that much different than the native Bowfin? I've fished some cypress swamps in Southeast Georgia where the water was infested with Bowfin and they are some pretty fierce feeders themselves. I can't find any articles that explain the environmental impact differences between the two, although you can't say a Bowfin imposes any impact since it's native.
    Not trying to defend the Snakehead .... just wondering.

6. Member
    I imagine if they get too bad we can just switch to snake head tournaments followed by fish frys like BASS used to do before catch and release. A year or two of 80+ boats a weekend bringing 5 snakeheads a piece in for cash payouts should decimate just about any population lol.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DvKing View Post
    Pretty sure somebody just weighed a 26 pound bag on the Potomac in a 3 hour tourney...I think the James will be ok.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DvKing View Post
    The James and App will be fine just like the Potomac because they have a constantly replenishing food source with all of the ocean run shad and herring species that come in. Places where I would think it could hurt are some of the lakes that may not have a food source that can replenish fast enough to keep up with them. By the way I have seen pics of one that was caught this week in Swift Creek Reservoir off of Hull St. VDGIF was supposed to be coming to check that one out, have not heard any further yet.

9. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Pretty sure somebody just weighed a 26 pound bag on the Potomac in a 3 hour tourney...I think the James will be ok.
    I agree that it should in theory be fine... however every system has different dynamics and I would rather not have to go off "should be fine"... I would much rather not have to find out..if people would have just followed the law instead of contributing to the spread I think it would have been better off.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

10. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Update i got: Shocked up 6 snakeheads in lakeview reservoir, as well as have confirmed that a snakehead was caught in swiftcreek reservoir.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

11. Member
    There are some very devious, ignorant people out there. Sad to see this happen in these bodies of water. The Brandermill people probably really have their panties in a wad over it, they expect that reservoir to be pristine what with all they've done to eliminate aquatic plants and such.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp