Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are those floating plants on Rodman?

They aren't the typical water cabbage we are use to seeing there. They look like hyacinth to me but I thought I had read somewhere a while back that hyacinth would not grow on Rodman. Something in the water there that hyacinth could not survive in. This is the first time I've seen these growing on Rodman in the 15 or so years that I've been fishing there.

Are these hyacinth or some other type of plant? Anybody seen them beside me?

never been there my bet hydrillia.. that craps like KUDZU

3. Member
    Not hydrilla. I haven't found a single piece of hydrilla in the place. Saw a little coontail yesterday in a couple spots but no hydrilla. Also the stuff I'm talking about is floating on the surface and hydrilla grows up from the bottom. It don't float.

4. Member
    I would be grateful and punch it before FWC gets ahold of it and sprays it.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

Water hyacinth? Looks like individual plants floating? Got a pic?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    water hyacinth will be a bright green waxy looking leaves in a rosette, showy purple flower if there was a flower. google some images of water hyacinth, water lettuce, frogs bit (looks very similar to water hyacinth), other floating plants are giant salvinia and common salvinia. Water hyacinth can grow anywhere and its pretty common in Florida.

7. Member
    Yep, I did some research and these are definitely water Hyacinth. They will in fact grow in Rodman but I could have sworn that I had read somewhere that there was something in the water that the Hyacinth would not grow there...oh well, I must have been dreaming!

Whatever they are, they make for some fine punching targets. Let's just hope the FWC don't declare war on them like they have the rest of the grasses in our lakes! I get sick of hearing those dam airboats spraying.

8. Member
    They are the number 1 target for the lake nukers, fish them while you can

9. Member
    I was under the impression that they couldnt spray in rodman. Think someone told me bc it was classified as a nature preserve or something like that. I have never seen a spray boat in there or heard anyone mention it before. There will be others to confirm.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    I was under the impression that they couldnt spray in rodman. Think someone told me bc it was classified as a nature preserve or something like that. I have never seen a spray boat in there or heard anyone mention it before. There will be others to confirm.

thats a good one. rodman gets nuked right along with everyplace else

12. Member
    water hyacinth is pretty common in Florida, it got in the US in the late 1800's from Asia. Apparently it started in New Orleans in 1884 during the Worlds Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition , it has that nice looking purple flower and was given to visitors as a gift and it spread from there. It can get pretty thick
    Attached Images Attached Images

It wont be there for long...guaranteed

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_prodigy75 View Post
    water hyacinth is pretty common in Florida, it got in the US in the late 1800's from Asia. Apparently it started in New Orleans in 1884 during the Worlds Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition , it has that nice looking purple flower and was given to visitors as a gift and it spread from there. It can get pretty thick
    Give a 2 ounce weight and about 8 hours and then you can lay me to rest on that patch.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol man river View Post
    thats a good one. rodman gets nuked right along with everyplace else

Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    It wont be there for long...guaranteed
    They just got done.

https://public.myfwc.com/hsc/pmars/w...ySchedule.aspx
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Looks like they nuked the place the first part of the year. That is probably why there is no hydrilla and very little water cabbage. That appears to have given the hyacinth a foothold and it appears to be thriving.

Damn it's a shame they nuked it, one of my favorite places to fish
    Spanky

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky06 View Post
    Damn it's a shame they nuked it, one of my favorite places to fish
    Spanky
    Spanky, it has survived nicely since the spraying. No hydrilla or cabbage but the spatter dock and hycaenth are doing well. Water is black but clear. I spent the last couple Saturdays there and caught fish all day long. Biggest over 5 with several 3&4's scattered amongst them. By the way, the mud fish population hasent been hurt, that's for sure. Plenty of gar around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Spanky, it has survived nicely since the spraying. No hydrilla or cabbage but the spatter dock and hycaenth are doing well. Water is black but clear. I spent the last couple Saturdays there and caught fish all day long. Biggest over 5 with several 3&4's scattered amongst them. By the way, the mud fish population hasent been hurt, that's for sure. Plenty of gar around too.
    That's good to hear, as soon as momma spanks cancer in the ass, I am going to hit it up. I have always considered Rodman my home lake due to the fact I fish it a lot and its close to home. (Middleburg). They do have some quality Mudfish in there....

Spanky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast