BCB and Gatorbak Bunk Covers

Can anyone tell me what became of BCB and their partnership with Gatorbak? I know a year ago or more they were working hand in hand to develop a product that was acceptable that would not put groves in the gel coat. I plan on using my boat a whole lot more this year than in the past and the access that I use is only a mile from my home and the carpet never seems to dry out and I hate the water on my garage floor and I have a fear of hull blisters with all the water the carpet retains. I have searched the forums but can’t find anything that is current! Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Jim

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JiMinneye View Post
    Can anyone tell me what became of BCB and their partnership with Gatorbak? I know a year ago or more they were working hand in hand to develop a product that was acceptable that would not put groves in the gel coat. I plan on using my boat a whole lot more this year than in the past and the access that I use is only a mile from my home and the carpet never seems to dry out and I hate the water on my garage floor and I have a fear of hull blisters with all the water the carpet retains. I have searched the forums but can’t find anything that is current! Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Jim
    Not sure, but i dont think they ever came up with a design and compound that BCB felt comfortable using, so i think the idea was canned..
    2020 Basscat Lynx..
    2020 Mercury 300 Pro XS 4S..

3. Member
    Grooves? The gatorbacks are harder than the gelcoat?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Grooves? The gatorbacks are harder than the gelcoat?
    They wear on the gel. IIRC, they even say on their site that if you are concerned about hull scratches not to use them. My guess is debris gets on the plastic and actually does the scratching.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    ^^ this - if you use a boat ramp that is not in the channel, debris is a fact of life. that debris can sink into carpet... and even the wooden bunks a bit. I don't have any experience with gatorbak.

6. mikesxpress
    Gatorbak synthetic bunk covers.

BS/Mythbusters:

1. No where on the Gatorbak site does it say: if you are concerned about hull scratches not to use them http://gatorbak.com/
    2. Gatorbak is NOT plastic.
    3. Gatorbak bunk material is softer than the gelcoat
    4. False: they ever came up with a design and compound that BCB felt comfortable using.

I have had them on my Ranger Z21 Intracoastal since 2014 which is longer than anyone else. I did my research after finding the start of hull blistering and subsequent hull repairs. So my response here is not hear say or speculation. The bunk material is softer than the gelcoat and does not scratch your hull. Hence a no power loading as it would act like rubbing and eraser on the hood of your truck. I power loaded for over 30 years and now just back the trailer in a little further and coast on. Scrub the bunks at the ramp once in awhile and they will look like new for years.

BCB issue
    BCB has been thru multiple variations of bunk coverings including double carpet, in-house designed/built pillow top, and Gatorbak. The issues are not with the bunk coverings. It with the trailer/boat configuration that rests on them. This is real simple. Go look at any BCB trailer at the ramp.

The hull doesn't make firm weight supporting contact on the bunks except in 4 spots due to the down swept chine at the transom holding the hull off the bunks. (BCB guys, you can push a pencil thru the gap along the bunk in places.) With the use of carpet the "fluff" of the carpet fills the void but is obviously not weight bearing.
    Without a weight bearing load sitting flat on the bunk surface, whatever material contacts the hull intermittently along the bunk run is going to vibrate going down the road. Toss in some road crud, a few hundred miles, and you have a sander.

Here was the short lived pillow top bunk. (Note Band-Aides in place where the chine has cut the pillow top down to the board.)

7. Member
    Mike have you looked at your hull lately where the bunks land?

I just recently pulled the trailer out from under the boat to do a little gel work on a couple dings that has exposed raw glass.

After one season of gatorbacks I have scratches and pockmarks in a few different areas under the bunks. They line up with the high side of the ribs against the hull. My theory is sand getting between hull and rib and sanding when on the road. Not exactly ecstatic about it.

When I replaced the original carpeted bunks I was pleasantly happy to have no blisters and actually a nice gloss smooth finished bottom. Not so anymore.

Talked to Ranger Trail head and was told they had looked at gatorback but decided to stick with carpet. He recommended returning back to carpeted bunks.

I really like the concept of them, but I'm a bit torn at this time of what to do. Don't think it's going to get any better with time.
    Mike

8. Member

I just recently pulled the trailer out from under the boat to do a little gel work on a couple dings that has exposed raw glass.

After one season of gatorbacks I have scratches and pockmarks in a few different areas under the bunks. They line up with the high side of the ribs against the hull. My theory is sand getting between hull and rib and sanding when on the road. Not exactly ecstatic about it.

When I replaced the original carpeted bunks I was pleasantly happy to have no blisters and actually a nice gloss smooth finished bottom. Not so anymore.

Talked to Ranger Trail head and was told they had looked at gatorback but decided to stick with carpet. He recommended returning back to carpeted bunks.

I really like the concept of them, but I'm a bit torn at this time of what to do. Don't think it's going to get any better with time.
    Oh but Mike says its only because of Basscats hull design and the way it sets on the trailer and he even has pictures..surely it would not happen on a Ranger boat or Rangertrail trailer..
    2020 Basscat Lynx..

9. Member

After 2 months of use i started seeing on my hull EXACTLY what you are describing and couldnt get them off fast enough..just maybe there is a reason why BCB didnt stick with them..i would bet they didnt want to warranty repair a bunch of hulls and i know for a fact that they did have to repair some..
    2020 Basscat Lynx..

PM Sent

11. mikesxpress
    Mike I see Gatorbak has jumped in to address your concerns.

Yes I have looked at my hull. It is fine. I get a few rub marks up front that I buff off every few months. This is due to loading at tidal ramps here along the coast where at low tide I can't get backed in as far and must crank it up the last foot. Acceptable practice in place of blistering.

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton03Vance View Post
    Oh but Mike says its only because of Basscats hull design and the way it sets on the trailer and he even has pictures..surely it would not happen on a Ranger boat or Rangertrail trailer..
    No name in your profile so T,
    This is boat #13 for me and my 1st Ranger. I have no brand loyalty. They are all overpriced junk bathtubs with an engine that keeps my ass from getting wet while I fish. My response addressed the OP question in detail. It has nothing to do with a Ranger so I'm not to sure where your going? I post quite a few informative things on BBC to assist the folks on here. That's exactly what this is.

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton03Vance View Post
    After 2 months of use i started seeing on my hull EXACTLY what you are describing and couldnt get them off fast enough..just maybe there is a reason why BCB didnt stick with them..i would bet they didnt want to warranty repair a bunch of hulls and i know for a fact that they did have to repair some..
    T,
    If your Gatorbak bunk issues were on your 2014 BCB then this boat was built prior to the Gatorbak installs at BCB. When did you purchase your Gatorbak bunks? You state you removed them in 2 months due to issues. Did you contact Gatorbak when you noticed the issues? You do get a warranty with these bunks.
    Do you have any pictures of what issues you had? If the bunks were installed on your 2014 Cougar then you have the same configuration as shown in the pictures and the same issues.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    T,
    If your Gatorbak bunk issues were on your 2014 BCB then this boat was built prior to the Gatorbak installs at BCB. When did you purchase your Gatorbak bunks? You state you removed them in 2 months due to issues. Did you contact Gatorbak when you noticed the issues? You do get a warranty with these bunks.
    Do you have any pictures of what issues you had? If the bunks were installed on your 2014 Cougar then you have the same configuration as shown in the pictures and the same issues.
    Probably right..i guess they just wont work on a Basscat..
    2020 Basscat Lynx..

15. Member
    I got a few rub marks but like you said, they rub off easy enough.

It's the hull where it rests on the bunks when traveling. It's pockmarked pretty good. I have pics, but I'm reluctant to post at this time as Gatorback is standing behind their product and sending me a newer set.
    Suppose to be a newer generation material, time will tell I suppose.
    Mike

16. Member
    Does anyone know when the material changed generations?

17. Member
    When I purchased in Nov 16 I'm told it was gen 6, what they are replacing with is gen 8. Also, alluded to a new gen 9 that BCB is testing and so far ok.
    Take it all for what it is.
    Mike

I’ve had GatorBak’s on my Triton for almost a couple of years now. I had an issue and GatorBak stood by their product. I really like them and like the thought of not having to worry about blistering.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

19. Member
    Does Gatorbak come in a size that will fit a 2 x 4?

20. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Does Gatorbak come in a size that will fit a 2 x 4?
    http://gatorbak.com/2x4-bunk-covers/