Talon Quick Disconnect

Is it easy to install the new Quick disconnect wires on a 2018 Talon ? I saw the video but still have doubts.

2. Member
    save yourself some bucks and get these instead

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Member
    Thanks,

These look great.

4. Member
    Keep in mind that any aftermarket mods voids the warranty on any Minn Kota produce.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Keep in mind that any aftermarket mods voids the warranty on any Minn Kota produce.
    Only if the mod itself causes or contributes to the failure, e.g. if there's a defective gear in the Talon motor whose failure has nothing to do with whatever disconnect you installed, MK can't void your warranty or deny your claim. Well actually, legally they can't void/deny, but that's not to say they couldn't try (and they might, depending on what mood they're in that day), but if they did, they would likely be doing so on the presumption that you wouldn't fight back because the burden of proof would be on MK... not to mention, the vast majority of people either a) don't understand their rights, b) don't care, c) don't have the wherewithal to fight or d) have been looking everywhere for an excuse to upgrade. /endsoapbox

I'm not an attorney (I leave the lawyering to the wife); however, mfg's have been misleading people for a very long time over this "void your warranty" nonsense... but don't take it from me:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post5911102

Now, if it's not mechanical, i.e. it's an electrical short damages the Talon, the mountain that is MK's burden of proof thing becomes a molehill... so you better be confident in your electrical skillz because with angling technology bringing our rigs closer to being autonomous fishing vessels everyday, if something's going down, the chances of failure being electrical-related rises exponentially with every new toy you install.

Be careful there are little buttons between the touch pad and control board the just rest in between and if you're not careful they can fall out and shrinking the heat shrink at the wire connections is kind of tight so you dont want to get the area too hot.
    Last edited by scotti509; 05-07-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Scott Inman

7. Member
    It is a connector not a mod. No since trying to scare someone.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc View Post
    save yourself some bucks and get these instead

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Great find! These look just like the first series quick disconnects that I paid more than four times as much.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psygnal11 View Post
    Only if the mod itself causes or contributes to the failure, e.g. if there's a defective gear in the Talon motor whose failure has nothing to do with whatever disconnect you installed, MK can't void your warranty or deny your claim. Well actually, legally they can't void/deny, but that's not to say they couldn't try (and they might, depending on what mood they're in that day), but if they did, they would likely be doing so on the presumption that you wouldn't fight back because the burden of proof would be on MK... not to mention, the vast majority of people either a) don't understand their rights, b) don't care, c) don't have the wherewithal to fight or d) have been looking everywhere for an excuse to upgrade. /endsoapb

I'm not an attorney (I leave the lawyering to the wife); however, mfg's have been misleading people for a very long time over this "void your warranty" nonsense... but don't take it from me:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post5911102

Now, if it's not mechanical, i.e. it's an electrical short damages the Talon, the mountain that is MK's burden of proof thing becomes a molehill... so you better be confident in your electrical skillz because with angling technology bringing our rigs closer to being autonomous fishing vessels everyday, if something's going down, the chances of failure being electrical-related rises exponentially with every new toy you install.
    I will put it this way. You buy a car. You decide it is bad to the bone. You do a few mods and go to the race track and race it. You blow the engine. You drag it to the dealer and claim it just blew. They check things out. They tell you they will not warranty the motor because they found you had over revved the motor numinous times. They do not have to honor the warranty if they suspect you race it. You can get a lawyer, but they are right and they have the proof.
    I will say this again. Any deviation from original manufacture finish product without approval of deviation by the manufacturer will void the warranty. Period.

10. Banned
    I will put it this way. You buy a car. You decide it is bad to the bone. You do a few mods and go to the race track and race it. You blow the engine. You drag it to the dealer and claim it just blew. They check things out. They tell you they will not warranty the motor because they found you had over revved the motor numinous times. They do not have to honor the warranty if they suspect you race it. You can get a lawyer, but they are right and they have the proof.
    I will say this again. Any deviation from original manufacture finish product without approval of deviation by the manufacturer will void the warranty. Period.
    Bull, you can wire your talons into your boat any way you want in fact if you wanted to you could just cut the wires off to remover them and take it to the warranty center for repair...

Why people like you make it a habbit of trying to instill fear is beyond me.

11. Member
    If said car also had a lifetime corrosion warranty and one of the rear fenders started showing a little rust, do you honestly believe they would be in the right to deny your claim just because you over-revved your engine?

Let's be crystal clear... it is against the law to require a specific brand or mfg of parts or materials as a condition of a warranty (unless the OEM provides it free of charge). Ford, GM, Toyota, etc. can't deny a warranty claim on an engine because they recommended Mobil 1 and you used Castrol. Likewise, Minn Kota cannot deny a warranty claim simply because you used a different brand of disconnect; if MK wanted the ability to deny such claims, they would need to provide a disconnect free of charge. Period and exclamation point.

12. Member
    I will agree to disagree

13. Member
    I did the swap and it wasn't difficult, just a little time consuming.