Thread: Tach problems

Tach problems

I’ve got a 2006 stratos 200 pro xl with 225 hpdi. I’m running a 25 T1 prop but have been only getting 5500 rpm. The other day when I ran it I noticed my tach jumping around and it would go up to 7000 at wot. I’m pretty sure my tach is shot and I’m trying to work on getting some more speed out of my boat. My question is how accurate is a tach? I’ve thought about getting nema 2000 when I buy a new helix for the console but that’s allot of extra money if a regular tach is pretty accurate.

Sounds like a rectifier. That's what sends the signal to the tach.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    Sounds like a rectifier. That's what sends the signal to the tach.
    +1 get it checked. It could burn up other electrical parts and cause more issues.

Where is this located and how do I check it?

5. Member
    Check to make sure your connections are tight on the tach, I have a 2001 20ss stratos, and mine was jumping around and doing as you have described. I took the tach out, took off all the connections, cleaned the post with a scotch brite pad and the tighten them back down. This corrected my issues. Take you a picture once you remove it from the dash, so you know where the wire goes, two small nuts is all that held mine in the dash.