Lower unit gear oil

I have a 2015 SHO VMAX 250, had the dealer do the 20 hour service at which time he was supposed to change the lower unit gear oil. I'm doing my yearly service, I now have 50 hours on motor. When I drained the lower unit the lube that came out was a green color, the Yamaha lower case lube HD is tan in color, I wounder what the dealer put in, or if the green colored lube was a factory break in lube and the dealer did not change the lower unit lube or he put in the incorrec lube. Anyone else changed there lower unit lube and found green colored lube? The product that I have is from Sims Yamaha, so I know that I have the correct lube.

2. Member
    I checked my work order and it states that the dealer used mercury Quicksilver 92-858068q01 whick comes in 55 gal container, this is Mercury Quicksilver high performance gear lube for mercury products, is there any harm if used on the Yamaha vmax 250?

3. Member
    I use it on my 175 HPDI

4. Member
    The blue/green gear oil is synthetic. Non synthetic is amber in color

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
    The blue/green gear oil is synthetic. Non synthetic is amber in color
    I don't think the Merc oil is synthetic

6. Member
    Called Yamaha and they replied that alot of dealers use the merc lower unit lube and its no problem, but they perfer that you use the yamaha HD lube for the SHO 250.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mollie14 View Post
    Called Yamaha and they replied that alot of dealers use the merc lower unit lube and its no problem, but they perfer that you use the yamaha HD lube for the SHO 250.
    I use it because it is a name brand oil and readily available at Walmart.

8. Member
    It's not hurt any. The engine manufacturers always tout their own fluids but Merc lower unit oil isn't going to hurt a thing.