COOL Hubs 2001 Ranger What's Up?

The oil in one of my hubs is consistently changing colors with what appears to be water intrusion. Weird thing is, I have not found one drop of oil anywhere. It does this after about 3 to 4 launches after fluid change, and continues to get worse. I have replaced the cap, checked the O rings in the sight glass, with my rear seal next on the list, even though it has no oil residue anywhere. Also, the 3 others look great.

I'm just wondering if when warm, then launching, may draw a small amount of water in, but why no external leakage?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If there is no signs of a leak the color change could be from condensation. Don't take much for a color change. Ranger has said that with no obvious leak not to worry. I use Lucas oil in mine keeps the seals from leaking.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

As per the Ranger Trailer Department when I last toured the plant: When backing warm hubs into cold water, there can be a tiny amount of condensation occurring. It only takes one drop of water to turn the oil milky. Don't worry about milky oil unless it gets to the point that it looks like curdled milk. Also, for those who live in a harsh winter climate, it would be a good idea to change the oil when winterizing, just to avoid any problems the water could cause in the winter. Otherwise, unless there is an oil leak, run'em.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice. Probably a little too much caution on my part, just odd that it's the same one changing color each time, the other three are not. I do carry all needed to change bearings if I have a failure. I'd rather do it in my garage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Probably a little too much caution on my part, just odd that it's the same one changing color each time, the other three are not. I do carry all needed to change bearings if I have a failure. I'd rather do it in my garage though.
    The front port hub on my 2001 tandem axle trailer that did the same thing. It would change quickly while the other hubs were still dark.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    could be air bubbles in oil. if you do not get all of the air out when adding new oil, it will foam the oil making it look milky after driving a few miles, just check oil level by removing plug, if it is down a little ,you had some air trapped in hub

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    could be air bubbles in oil. if you do not get all of the air out when adding new oil, it will foam the oil making it look milky after driving a few miles, just check oil level by removing plug, if it is down a little ,you had some air trapped in hub
    Thanks. I'll take a look.