Buckeye Mop Jigs

I watched Davy Hite on a show not long ago catching some good ones on his Mop Jig. I picked up a couple so I guess I would be the biggest fish he caught that day

I fish jigs often but this one appears to need a different technique. How do you guys fish the Mop Jig? What's a good trailer to use?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Hang a full size zoom super chunk on it and go to work. Good jig.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    Shhh just kidding it’s a flipping jig for me to targets what ever that may be laydowns docks etc I like a big rage craw

I usually fish them very slow, to allow the long rubber legs to do their thing. I usually use a Zoom Super Chunk Jr.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Doesn't get a lot of bites for me but when it does get bit it is a good one.

6. Member
    Are you guys trimming the skirts on the Mop jig or are ya'll leaving the strands alone out of the package.

Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    Are you guys trimming the skirts on the Mop jig or are ya'll leaving the strands alone out of the package.
    I NEVER trim the skirt on the rubber legged mop jigs. Otherwise they are just another jig. The long skirt is how the bait got its name. This jig was made in SC for a long time and Davey Hite had used them locally and then took them on the Bassmaster tour with him. He roomed with KVD on the road. When KVD saw the jig he told Davey that the jig skirt looked like it should be trimmed because it looked like a "mop." And, now you know the rest of the story!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I fished it today for the first time. I sort felt like what Jeff said, "trim the skirt and you've got just another jig...although a very well made jig. I started out with a Rage Tail Menace grub then switched to a big Zoom Chunk. I haven't used chunks in a long time but fortunately,I had a black one to go with the blue/black jig.

Didn't catch anything with it but I didn't catch anything on anything else either. Tough day...the normally clear lake looked more like a chocolate milk and was at least 3 feet high from 2 big thunderstorms that went through Thursday.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.